PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss F Line C.

postman
20-Sep-2010, 23:27
Hi.. Long time listener, first time caller.

I am in the process of making the jump to Arca (probably) and am having a few difficulties getting all of their products straight. I have a lot of questions but the most pressing right now is this..

What is the difference between the current 6x9 F-Line C and a M-Line TWO (medium format version) in terms of size and function. Is it simply that on the M-Line the rear does not tilt? I assume the lens boards would be the same. I assume they are both geared.

Some background.

I am trying to retain the ability to do table top work, and also outdoor (urban landscapes, and landscapes). I have a Cambo WRS currently and Nikon DSLR gear. I shot Hassy MF before that.

I am located in the SF area and having a hard time finding dealers with the Arca Line in stock.

Thanks in advance.

Emmanuel BIGLER
21-Sep-2010, 04:49
Hello from Besançon, France !
Basically there are two lines of Arca Swiss monorails, let's first briefly recall them in order that the M-line 2 finds its place easily in the family.
The F-line
The M-line
Both product lines share the same rails, same lens boards same bellows and many common accessories.

In both product lines, focusing is done by moving a function carrier on a rail by a rack and pinion system. There start the differences, for rise / fall /shifts, tilts and swings

F-line cameras have as a standard feature non-geared, base tilts.
Optionallly you can add a geared front tilt device named : micrometric orbix. A non geared orbix exists as well.
The F-classic has non-geared rise / fall /shifts
The F-metric has geared self-locking rise / fall / shifts

Now the M-line : original "full-featured" M-line cameras share the same focusing rail system but the M-line function carrier is totallly different from the F-line's and offers all geared & self-locking movements, focusing, rise / fall /shifts, AND tilts/swing.

In all above mentioned cameras except the Misura (F-line family) movements are redundant on the front standard and on the rear standard. For example you can add 45° of swing in front to 45° of swing the other way at rear !! Which is totally redundant for most work.
The Misura has no rear tilts/swings, all tilts/swings are in front, plus the additional manual orbix system.

Now comes the M-line 2
The M-line two is a more affordable M-line camera, all movements are geared, but tilts and swings are in front only, rise / fall / shit / at rear only. In other words, some redundant movements are omitted to reduce the price and weight.
The M-line 2 is lighter than the F-classic 6x9 !!
The M-line 2 is designed to be extremely precise for digital photography in the studio with short focal lengths. But you can use it with film of course, and with any focal length.
the M-line 2 can be focused even with the shortest digital lenses recently introduced.
By comparison with the F-line : you gain precision all-geared self-locking all movements.
You loose some redundancy that you'll actually hardly ever use.

By comparison with the full-featured M-line : you loose redundancy between front and rear. Weight is smaller with the M-line 2.

I hope this clarifies the differences & features of F-line and M-line cameras.

GPS
21-Sep-2010, 05:16

In both product lines, focusing is done by moving a function carrier on a rail by a rack and pinion system. There start the differences, for rise / fall /shifts, tilts and swings

F-line cameras have as a standard feature non-geared, base tilts.
Optionallly you can add a geared front tilt device named : micrometric orbix. A non geared orbix exists as well.
The F-classic has non-geared rise / fall /shifts
The F-metric has geared self-locking rise / fall / shifts

Now the M-line : original "full-featured" M-line cameras share the same focusing rail system but the M-line function carrier is totallly different from the F-line's and offers all geared & self-locking movements, focusing, rise / fall /shifts, AND tilts/swing.

I hope this clarifies the differences & features of F-line and M-line cameras.

Emmanuel,
I appreciate your knowledge of Arca Swiss cameras but I think something in your description is not correct (or do I miss something?).
My F-metric 6x9 Arca Swiss has tilts AND swings on both of its standards. You don't mention them (the 45° swings) in your description.

evan clarke
21-Sep-2010, 05:33
In the U.S., the guy tto talk to is Rod Klukas at Photomark in Phoenix, Az. He's probably the only one who has cameras in stock...Evan Clarke (5 Arcas in my stable ;))

GPS
21-Sep-2010, 05:35
By the way, Arca Swiss, present at Photokina 2010 has recently "activated" (or so they say...) their website at www.arca-swiss.com Unfortunately, no content has been uploaded as of yet...

GPS
21-Sep-2010, 07:00
In the U.S., the guy tto talk to is Rod Klukas at Photomark in Phoenix, Az. He's probably the only one who has cameras in stock...Evan Clarke (5 Arcas in my stable ;))

Badger Graphic Sales has them probably in his stock too, as he sells them. Congrats for your Arca Swiss fidelity, Evan! :)

cowanw
21-Sep-2010, 07:34
tilts and swings are in front only, rise / fall / shit / at rear only. .

Thank god for that.:eek:
Actually a lot of shit comes out of the back of my camera too.
Kindest Regards
Bill

postman
22-Sep-2010, 17:32
Thanks for the responses. They help me a lot. I have other questions but I'll start new threads for those.