PDA

View Full Version : Bi-post sync on Kodak Ektar Commercial 10" lens in #4 Acme Synchro Shutter

FLC
20-Sep-2010, 21:37
Recently purchased a Kodak Ektar Commercial 10" lens (manufactured in 1957) mounted in a #4 Acme Synchro Ilex shutter for use on a Toyo 4X5 view camera.

The shutter employs a bi-post sync connection (not a typical PC sync connection). I am using modern studio strobe lights equipped with a typical 1/8" mono jack as the on-strobe cord connection for flash synchronization.

Will this #4 Acme Synchro shutter properly sync with a modern studio strobe unit? I read somewhere that a special electronic controller may be required to properly sync the shutter with a modern strobe. Is that correct?

If I have a bi-post to 1/8" mono sync cord custom made, will this be all that is needed to properly sync between shutter and strobe?

Wayne Aho
20-Sep-2010, 23:50
It depends if the shutter has an X synch or M synch. If you can see the electronic flash when the shutter fires, its X, if the flash fires before the shutter opens, its M. Paramountcords.com makes cables for the bipost to pc, and they are not too expensive (about $20 if I remember correctly) . A norelco shaver cord will fit the bipost, I have bought shavers at goodwill in the past just for the cords, then fitted them to an old pc connection, or directly into the graflex flash units (now popular as light sabers). I think some acme shutters have an adjustable synch, if so, the red dot would be for electronic flash.

National camera used to have plans for a synch delay. Another option is for a shutter repair facility to change to an X synch, which shouldn't be too hard to do.

Wayne

cowanw
21-Sep-2010, 04:19
The short answer is yes and yes. A mono to PC and 20 ft of cord would cost you about $50; but you might want to consider a slave transmitting unit to avoid the cord between yout camera and the first flash, such as Pocket Wizard or Micro sync.
Regards
Bill

Mark Sampson
21-Sep-2010, 06:15
Doesn't the #4 Acme have an M-X selector switch on the side of the shutter, and a separate cocking lever for the synch? If so, then all you'll need is the bi-post to pc adapter.

cowanw
21-Sep-2010, 06:59
The short answer is yes and yes. A mono to PC and 20 ft of cord would cost you about $50; but you might want to consider a slave transmitting unit to avoid the cord between yout camera and the first flash, such as Pocket Wizard or Micro sync.
Regards
Bill

My bad: I meant a mono to bipost and a length of cord that's appropriate in length.
Bill