PDA

View Full Version : Need advice / Protars and Volute shutter

W K Longcor
20-Sep-2010, 12:55
The time has come that I realize that there are certain "Treasures" that I just plain will never use again -- and frankly, I need the money more than I need some of this stuff. Right now, I'm looking for advice.

I have a set of Baush & Lomb Optical Protar VII lenses in a Volute no. 3 shutter. It is set up as a triple convertable lens. Both units together make a 14 5/16 inch f/7 lens. Looks like it will cover 11x14 pretty darn good. The rear set alone is a 23 1/4 inch f/12.5. The front unit is a 27 1/8 inch f/12.5. The cells appear to be made to go together. Their ser. #s are only 3 apart and both have a penciled matching number on the rims. 2 Metal lens caps. Rear (23 1/4) has clear glass with a 1/8" ring of yellow balsam around the very edge. Front cells are nice and clear all the way. The individual cells seem to be in the ULF catagory as far as coverage.

Question #1 -- The Volute No.3 shutter ( with scales for all three lengths) is sticky ( very sticky). I don't think there is anything major wrong, that a good cleaning and lube job would not fix. So --- should I have the work done before offering for sale or sell as is and let the buyer take care of it. What I'm asking is, will the CLA raise the price enough to make having it done all that worth while? ( Meaning, will it bring in a lot more $$$?)

Question#2 -- I've looked on this site and on the BAY -- can't find anything just like these. Nothing I find comes close to the 27 1/8 inch size. So I could use some expert advice as to a sensible asking price.

As always, comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated. And, yes, I will probably be offering these first to you guys.
Bill

Mark Woods
20-Sep-2010, 13:16
Hello Bill,

If they cover 11x14, I might be interested in them. I'm not worried about the shutter. What I've done in the past in that situation is soak the shutter in kerosene over night, then blow it out really well. The kerosene both cleans the shutter and lubricates it.

Good luck.

John Schneider
20-Sep-2010, 14:10
If the cells are the size to fit an Alphax #5 I'd be interested. And no, I don't think getting the shutter CLA'd is worth the money. Practically anyone who would actually use a lens this old would mount the cells in a shutter no older than a Betax ;)

Steven Tribe
20-Sep-2010, 15:03
Cameraeccentric says this is VIIa no.20 which covers 10x12 and 14x17 (small stops).

Mark Woods
20-Sep-2010, 15:09
Hello Bill, you can contact me off list if you'd like when you figure out how much you want to see the lens for.

W K Longcor
20-Sep-2010, 19:06
Thanks for all the interest. I will be making a legitimate listing in the for sale area as soon as I am ready to sell.