PDA

View Full Version : Help Diagnose leak

chacabuco
20-Sep-2010, 10:55
Does this attached image look like the film was exposed to light while loading (very possible) or symptomatic of an in-camera leak?

Thanks

Gem Singer
20-Sep-2010, 11:07
Impossible to tell for sure unless you include a picture of the entire sheet of film.

If the rebate area is also exposed, more likely than not, the film was exposed to light before it was placed into the holder.

chacabuco
29-Sep-2010, 09:47
Thanks Gem,

Finally got back to my studio and checked out the film. The rebate is in fact not exposed so that rules out any loading misshaps. I guess I need to keep the back covered with the dark cloth when pulling out the slide from now on.

CG
29-Sep-2010, 11:07
It's all too easy to pull the film holder away from the camera back a little when withdrawing the dark slide. I try to press in a bit to keep the film holder firmly in contact with the body of the camera as I pull the dark slide.

Heroique
29-Sep-2010, 11:26
It's all too easy to pull the film holder away from the camera back a little when withdrawing the dark slide. I try to press in a bit to keep the film holder firmly in contact with the body of the camera as I pull the dark slide.

It’s good to run into practical tips like this one. Another field note to share: When I remove the film holder from the camera, I’m careful not to (slightly) pull-out either dark slide. Sometimes the holder’s locks aren’t perfectly secure – even though they look like they are – and when I’m working with gloves in chilly weather, this risk goes up.

chacabuco
29-Sep-2010, 12:52
Good tips.

Coming from shooting readyloads exclusively, sheet film holders definitely seem a little finicky, requiring a bit more care.