PDA

View Full Version : Sources of quality prints representative of common residential architecture styles??

Mark Carstens
19-Sep-2010, 14:17
Hey, all,

I'm hoping that those members who make their living shooting residential architecture or know someone who does can help me out with business proposal. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, and suspect that there are resources here too, but thought that I'd tap the knowledge and experience base we have on the forum before heading out to beat the bushes for local contacts. That and some architectural styles are bound to be more common in some parts of the country than others, so I'm casting a broad net.

In a nutshell, I have entered into a business relationship with a friend who is setting up a local real estate office. They have kindly offered to show my images, which are nature/landscape in subject matter. They would also like to display images depicting homes built in various architectural styles; subjects I don't shoot nor have the time to shoot within the next month. Long story short, they are looking for residential architecture prints to frame and hang.

My marching orders are to find a source of print examples for the following architectural styles:

Victorian
Contemporary
Tudor
Ranch
Split level
Queen Anne
Dutch Colonial
"Frank Lloyd Wright"

My friend's mother (holding the financial purse strings) is pretty conventional in her tastes (antique "gold" frames on all of her existing prints), so please keep that in mind.

Web site links would be great. Contact info for shooters you know who might have a portfolio that fits the bill, at least in part would work too. Any and all useful information would be appreciated. :)

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Best regards,
~Mark

Mark Carstens
21-Sep-2010, 20:40
Really? So, am I to assume that this is going to require a good deal of legwork and multiple sources to make this happen? Oh, me. :p

~Mark

bdkphoto
22-Sep-2010, 06:29
Really? So, am I to assume that this is going to require a good deal of legwork and multiple sources to make this happen? Oh, me. :p

~Mark

What's your budget for the prints?

Mark Carstens
22-Sep-2010, 19:11
What's your budget for the prints?

Thanks for the question. I hate to even type this... It's apparent that my friend's mom has no idea what quality images fetch. She wants to hang 8 prints at an average cost of $200 per print...framed. I could barely stifle my own laughter when I read the return email today.

I'm not sure we can get it done for that, at least not with the image quality that I had in mind.

~Mark

Ed Richards
22-Sep-2010, 20:13
> I'm not sure we can get it done for that, at least not with the image quality that I had in mind

Sure you can - they just need to be very small prints.:-)

Mark Carstens
22-Sep-2010, 20:19
> I'm not sure we can get it done for that, at least not with the image quality that I had in mind

Sure you can - they just need to be very small prints.:-)

Good point, Ed. I'm facing the unenviable prospect of talking her down from the 24x36 framed print size she thinks she wants. Delicately resetting her expectations seems to be in my future. :p

~Mark

Mark Carstens
25-Sep-2010, 17:25
Or, go to Walmart and buy them for under $50 each and stop wasting everyones time (including yours), after all she is not interested in fine art, only something to throw on her walls to decorate her new real estate office. I really don't think the buyers/sellers care.

You're spot-on. It seems as though that's what we're coming to...or something close to it...or so I hope. ;)

~MC