PDA

View Full Version : Rochester Optical - Ideal 8x10

healyzh
18-Sep-2010, 22:07
I'm pretty excited, I just bought my 3rd LF camera today. I got an 8x10 "Ideal" from the Rochester Optical Company. It is my first 8x10, and I believe it is now the oldest camera I own. :D

So far the only information I have been able to find is the following webpage, which has info from an old catalog. It looks like this model was made between 1885 and 1903.
http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/librarium/pm.cgi?action=display&login=ideal

It is in very nice condition, the bellows are supposed to be light-tight, and the ground glass is intact. It came with a single holder, that will hold two plates. It did not come with a lens.

I am interested in learning more information about this specific model. My plan is to use it for portraits and maybe for landscapes as well.

Thanks,
Zane

Louis Pacilla
19-Sep-2010, 08:07
Zane

Congrats on your new treasure!

Now I have a bit of disappointing news for you if you plan on using this fine ROC as your 8x10 daily use camera

The ROC cameras of this era do not use Standard 8x10 holders. Most holders at this time where proprietary & have not been made for nearly 100 yrs.

You could have a wet plate back made for the camera or have Richard Ritter change the existing 8x10 back to take current 8x10 holders.

I have recently found 5 ROC 8x10 holders in great shape & now have located 6 in total. It toke me nearly a year to find these 6 8x10 ROC holders & they where all Plate holders. I still have not found any film holders

I have several modern 8x10 so my ROC cameras are more of a collection rather than a shooting rig. Although all of mine are in great condition

If it where me I would leave this collectible camera in the original condition & look for a 8x10 that take current holders. Plenty of em out there.:)

healyzh
19-Sep-2010, 08:24
Thanks for that link. That's the one, and the fact that mine has the spring back means that it is no older than 1890. Mine might not look quite as good as the one shown in most of the pictures, but it looks better than the one shown at the bottom of the page. In addition to not having a lens yet, I also lack the case.

In doing some research, I find that the Nikkor-W 210mm lens on my Horseman will almost cover 8x10, so I think I need to see about building a lens board adapter that will allow me to use Horseman lensboards on this camera. I plan to eventually have at least a couple brass lenses for this camera.

healyzh
19-Sep-2010, 08:39
Now I have a bit of disappointing news for you if you plan on using this fine ROC as your 8x10 daily use camera

The ROC cameras of this era do not use Standard 8x10 holders. Most holders at this time where proprietary & have not been made for nearly 100 yrs.

Actually not disappointing at all, as I knew this going into it. I could have picked up an 8x10 for the same price from the store where I bought this, but it was in rougher condition, and I preferred this one specifically because it has the plate holder. If I choose, it can be modified to take standard film holders, but at that point I'd simply have a different back made, and retain the existing one.

I had a bad feeling that getting additional holders will be as difficult as you indicate.

Thanks,
Zane

goamules
19-Sep-2010, 12:35
I got a ROC 5x8 (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=36782&page=82) a few months ago. It came with 3 holders, and since I'm just using it for wetplate, I only need one side of one holder. Just look and you'll find a holder, I bet.

healyzh
20-Sep-2010, 08:22
I managed to get an initial photo of the camera and film holder yesterday.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/5004411291_36fb6939b5.jpg