PDA

View Full Version : Blotting paper

SeanEsopenko
18-Sep-2010, 19:26
Is it ok to dry prints sandwiched between acid free blotting paper with a heavy board & weight on top? I remember doing that in intaglio classes back in art school, so I'm assuming it would work ok for fiber based photographic prints.

I just finished a bunch and they're buckling and curling like mad from drying in the plain air, laying on their fronts on window screen. I'd rather not dry-mount my prints so I'm trying to figure out ways to dry them nice and smooth/flat.

John Cahill
18-Sep-2010, 19:33
The blotter paper will stick to the wet emulsion. Blotter books have a kind of wax paper page that goes over the wet emulsion side; the old blotter rolls had a special matte non-stick surface for that side.

I dry on screens, then place the prints between sheets of blotter between two pieces of heavy plywood, with books on top and leave them for a couple of days. They end up nice and flat.

You could probably dry almost dry uncovered face up, then add the top blotter and the weight and be o.k.

SeanEsopenko
18-Sep-2010, 19:37
I dry on screens, then place the prints between sheets of blotter between two pieces of heavy plywood, with books on top and leave them for a couple of days. They end up nice and flat.

Sweet. Thanks for the help.