PDA

View Full Version : Linhof III bellows

Gene Sutton
18-Sep-2010, 14:34
Hi all,
First time poster.
I am looking to get back into LF after 25 years. I have a Technika III available for a low price but it will need a bellows replacement.

Going strictly from memory here, 25 year ago, I recalled that the front bellows was held in place with four screws and adhesive.

I asked the seller about this and he says they only are glued in place. I do not want to buy a camera that is not complete.

Can one of you Linhof owners or experts clarify this for me?

Thanks in advance!
Gene

al olson
18-Sep-2010, 17:22
I will try to help you out. Although I don't have a III, I have recent (2 years ago) experience replacing the bellows in my IV. The bellows replacement on the III should be similar.

First of all, there is only one bellows that is connected from the back to the front standard through the box. There are no front or rear bellows per se.

If the III is similar to the IV, the seller is correct. The bellows are glued to the standards. I used PlioBond that was recommended on this Forum.

One thing you should be aware of when gluing the bellows is that the PlioBond is transparent and if you don't use a lot of pressure when it bonds to the standard, there will be light leaks. (I used it because I was told that in the future it would be easier to remove than contact cement.) I fixed these leaks by using liquid electrical tape, also recommended by someone on this forum to fix pinholes, to coat the slight gap.

I bought my bellows from camera bellows in England. Although they went into a reorganization, I believe they are still using the same web address: camerabellows.com, I think, but not certain. Expect the cost of the bellows to be somewhere between $250 and $300.

Good luck

Gene Sutton
18-Sep-2010, 19:28
Thanks for the quick reply, Al.
I phrased my question poorly; I did mean the front standard, thanks for clarifying.

As for the bellows attachment, thank you for the answer. I could not remember how it attached, and had it been missing parts, it would have been not worth messing with hunting them down. Given your answer, I'll take a hard look at this one here in town.
Thanks again!
Gene