PDA

View Full Version : What are the BEST binder film storage sleeves and film drying clips?

l2oBiN
18-Sep-2010, 14:15
the title is the question =P.

John Bowen
18-Sep-2010, 14:23
Film Drying Clips = wooden clothes pins. I drill small holes in them so I can hang my LF films perpendicular to the line as opposed to parallel to the line. Instead of having room for 12 sheets of film, I now have room for 40 sheets of film.

Storage sleeves = the clear sleeves like Print File makes. I use those for 35mm, 120/220, 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. For 7x17 I make/use paper envelopes from paper I purchase from Light Impressions

Binders = 3 ring binders from the office supply store. I have/use some of the plastic box type binders that Beseler used to sell. They are fine for 35mm and the smaller formats, but for 8x10 I just use stuff I get at Office Depot. For 7x17 I use archival boxes purchased from Holingers.

All prints are stored in Archival Boxes.

As always, YMMV

Sirius Glass
18-Sep-2010, 14:36
Film Drying Clips = wooden clothes pins. I pass a nylon #50 line through the spring hole and have knots ties to space them out. That covers 4x5. For 135 and 120 I still have hanging clips that go on the same nylon line.

Steve

l2oBiN
18-Sep-2010, 15:06
I really want high quality clips that do not pierce or scratch the film, do not collect/leave water marks and do not clip on the exposed area of the film.

For the sleeves I want the best archival quality sleeves there is.

Sirius Glass
18-Sep-2010, 15:11
I really want high quality clips that do not pierce or scratch the film, do not collect/leave water marks and do not clip on the exposed area of the film.

I guess that you could gold plate the clothes pins, but I am not sure that would add value to the photographs. ;)

Steve

Oren Grad
18-Sep-2010, 15:14
I've moved away from the Print File and VueAll pages and sleeves for two reasons - scratching from sliding the negatives in and out, and the risk that slip agents in the polyethylene that these products are made from will eventually damage the negatives:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=21710&postcount=10

Instead, I've been using polypropylene fold-lock sleeves. Polyester is OK, too. I keep these in acid-free boxes obtained from University Products or Hollinger. I've given up on Light Impressions - their stock status and their service have radically deteriorated in recent years.

EDIT: Just checked the Print File website. I see that they now offer polyester sleeves under the "FoldFlap" name, in addition to the polyethylene "negative preservers" that they've offered for many years.

Louie Powell
18-Sep-2010, 15:32
BEST is what comes closest to meeting your expectations. What is best for me may not be best for you.

In my case, I prefer PLASTIC clothes pins because they are non-absorbent. Yes, the film should be thoroughly washed, but I would still prefer that the clip not absorb anything that could be transferred to another sheet/roll of film.

I found some plastic versions of the standard wood clothes pins at a variety store. They have serrated jaws so they grip the film securely. Arranging to hang them took some ingenuity - the solution was small metal screw eyes. I held them in needle-nose pliers as I heated them with a propane torch. When they were red hot, I then pressed the threaded shaft into the end of the plastic clothes pins, and held them for a few seconds while the plastic cooled and congealed around the metal screw.

For 4x5 sheet film storage, I prefer folding acetate sleeves that I file in an archival box from Light Impressions. For roll film (both 35mm and 120), I use PrintFile pages. These are also stored in archival boxes. I make contact prints that go into binders along with sheets where I record printing information.

Michael Gordon
18-Sep-2010, 15:51
Sleeves (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/43007-REG/Print_File_PF454B100_Archival_Storage_Page_for.html).

The very best film clips (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/25442-REG/Jobo_J3524_Sheet_film_clips_Pack.html), but at a price.

Sirius Glass
18-Sep-2010, 16:07
Sleeves (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/43007-REG/Print_File_PF454B100_Archival_Storage_Page_for.html).

The very best film clips (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/25442-REG/Jobo_J3524_Sheet_film_clips_Pack.html), but at a price.

Yes, and not available. It is on back order to a company that has filed for bankruptcy. :(

Steve

l2oBiN
20-Sep-2010, 14:41
I heard people talk about some aligator clips? Dental clips? Anyone heard of these or used them?

Ron Marshall
20-Sep-2010, 15:01
These work for me and the price is right:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/123163-REG/Delta_58050_Stainless_Steel_Film_Clips.html

Or, get some alligator clips from Radio Shack.

Bruce Barlow
21-Sep-2010, 04:11
I use plastic clothes pins, because they were pre-drilled, after I lost my carefully-drilled wooden ones when we moved ten years ago. The little serrated teeth-y like surface holds 8x10 negs at the corners.

I have 40 on a wire above my sink. Sometimes that's not enough. I have 6 more on a wire coat hanger hanging from my viewing light. It sits high enough for those little rolls of film we all guiltily use from time-to-time. They then hang over my anti-fatigue floor mat and drip a little when wet. Oh well.

If you hang them carefully, negs are secure and don't get marks on the image area. At least, that's my experience.

I also hang RC proofs to dry with no resulting marks. Slightly more convenient than my screens, and way good enough for proofs. RC doesn't curl, so there's no problem there.

Brian Ellis
21-Sep-2010, 08:20
Water marks aren't a function of the clip so much as they are of how you handle the film before hanging it and using something like PhotoFlo or LFN (if they're still made) to prevent or minimize the spots. I use LFN because it's less "soapy" than PhotoFlo.

I doubt that there's a single "best" film clip out there. I've used the metal alligator-type paper clips that you can buy almost anywhere. I've also used dedicated plastic film clips that punch a tiny hole in one blank corner of the film.

I bought a large batch of sleeves from Light Impressions (I think) years ago, I'm not sure of the brand. If I thought my negatives were going to be of interest to anyone after I'm gone I'd probably worry about the sleeves more than I do.

Bob McCarthy
21-Sep-2010, 08:58
I've been using clothes pins for years but I have to replace them on occasion for the spring flaking off rust.

FYI

bob

Jim Noel
22-Sep-2010, 09:53
Dental x-ray clips are the only clips I use. I would not attempt to use a wooden clothes pin with a piece of 11x14 or 7x17 film.
The dental clip makes a tiny hole in the corner of the film which makes for great security. Once the clip is in place I handle the film by it only and don't remove it until I have the film safely in its mylar sleeve.
Jim

cyrus
22-Sep-2010, 10:18
I've been on a holy quest for the best film drying clips for a while.
http://www.darkroomguide.com/2010/06/darkroom-clips-or-clamps.html

Harold_4074
23-Sep-2010, 13:11
There exist plastic clothespins with stainless steel springs. The ones that I found had fairly large radii in the gripping area, which made it difficult to cleanly grab 4x5 film outside the image area until I used a woodworking rasp to trim away the excess "jaw". This was an easy job, done freehand, and now the clips work just fine. They hold 8x10 sheets with no problem, although I don't know if they are strong enough for 11x14.

bobwysiwyg
23-Sep-2010, 13:23

Use them both and initially 'gulped' at the price of the clips. After some thought though, figured they would last a lift time, so I bit the bullet. Too bad about the bankruptcy, hope it's one of those reorganization forms, but... :(

Maris Rusis
23-Sep-2010, 17:07
The very best sheet film clips are small surgical forceps with locking handles. They are the ones heart surgeons use for gripping tiny, soft, slippery vessels and membranes in situations where they simply must not let go accidentally. For photographic purposes even "ward" quality forceps work fine at about $5 each.

l2oBiN
24-Sep-2010, 14:26
I am looking into the Jobo, but also interested in the small forecepts where can I buy some? (I am in Sweden)

jeroldharter
24-Sep-2010, 16:58
The very best sheet film clips are small surgical forceps with locking handles. They are the ones heart surgeons use for gripping tiny, soft, slippery vessels and membranes in situations where they simply must not let go accidentally. For photographic purposes even "ward" quality forceps work fine at about $5 each.

Great idea with the forceps. I already have about 200 stainless clamps like the Delta one referenced, plus the Jobo film clips (the older ones with 2 sharp pins are better), etc. But if I were starting over, I might go with the forceps for film drying. This might be a good source:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,87967_Dr-Slick-Co-Barb-Clamp-4-%C2%BD-Fly-Fishing.html

These are quality stainless steel fly fishing forceps for just $1.95 each. Can use them for fishing when not in the darkroom.

l2oBiN
24-Sep-2010, 17:44
I am trying to look at the smallest forceps or other surgical instruments which would have the highest grip/tension lock or a variable screw lock that would be most suitable for holding 4x5 film (or even 8x10) by the very edge of the film. Does anyone have a suggestion?

jeroldharter
24-Sep-2010, 19:14
I am trying to look at the smallest forceps or other surgical instruments which would have the highest grip/tension lock or a variable screw lock that would be most suitable for holding 4x5 film (or even 8x10) by the very edge of the film. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Just get the fly fishing forceps for $1.95 and see if they are adequate. The tips have fine engraved lines for traction so should hold the corner of the film well without shooting it out. The thumb/finger holes have a ratchet lock so you can apply variable amounts of force. You should easily be able to hold 8x10 film within the margins and hang the forceps from a line.