PDA

View Full Version : Small camera for Fuji PA-145?

Mike Anderson
18-Sep-2010, 11:58
What are some small (press camera size or smaller), hand held cameras that can use a Fuji PA-145?

Will it (PA-145) work with a Graphic spring back? Graphlex.org says a Graflok back will take "Polaroid backs" so I assume one would take a PA-145.

Might any of those smaller (4x3) Graphics work with a PA-145?

...Mike

p.s. I mean cheap cameras, not Linhof Technika class cameras.

John Cahill
18-Sep-2010, 19:25
The spring back on my Speed Graphic will not accept the holder. The Graflex or Graflock or whatever it is on my Crown Graphic takes it.

rdenney
19-Sep-2010, 09:12
The PA-145 requires a 4x5 Graflok back, or a bail back with a very deep opening. It will not fit on press cameras designed for smaller formats, such as a Graphic 3x4. There may have been a Polaroid holder back in the day that would fit a 3x4 Graflok, but I don't know of it.

Rick "thinking a 4x5 Graflok fitted to an old Polaroid folder might be the ticket" Denney

Mike Anderson
19-Sep-2010, 12:15
John, Rick,

Thanks for the info. It looks like a 4x5 press camera with Graflok back is as small as I can cheaply go (or cheap as I can smally go).

...Mike

sully75
19-Sep-2010, 13:10
I'm not an expert but I think a Crown Graphic that has a calibrated lens/viewfinder with a graphlok back would work for this really well (and be a great camera for other purposes too).

Your other option is a modified Polaroid 110a/110b/900, but much more money or work to get that going.

Mike Anderson
19-Sep-2010, 14:06
I'm not an expert but I think a Crown Graphic that has a calibrated lens/viewfinder with a graphlok back would work for this really well (and be a great camera for other purposes too).
Yeah, definitely need a working rangefinder, I wouldn't even be looking at the GG.

Your other option is a modified Polaroid 110a/110b/900, but much more money or work to get that going.
I already have the PA-145 and some film, so if I could get a press camera w/ lens and calibrated rangefinder in the $200-250 range I'd be all set. The Busch Pressman D with Vue-Focus range/viewfinder seemed cool, but it doesn't look like it accepts the PA-145. So the question now is which Graflok press camera has the best rangefinder.

...Mike

rdenney
19-Sep-2010, 17:54
I already have the PA-145 and some film, so if I could get a press camera w/ lens and calibrated rangefinder in the $200-250 range I'd be all set. The Busch Pressman D with Vue-Focus range/viewfinder seemed cool, but it doesn't look like it accepts the PA-145. So the question now is which Graflok press camera has the best rangefinder.

A Linhof with an "international" back would have the best rangefinder, with easily replaceable cams for different lenses. Bring your checkbook.

The top-rangefinder Pacemaker Graphics (both Crown and Speed) also used cams, but they are scarce as hen's teeth and not as precise a design as used by Linhof.

Next below that is the standard side-mounted Kalart rangefinder, which can be adjusted for any one lens, and which is probably the most commonly found rangefinder on Graflex cameras. Graflexes might also come with a Hugo Meyer rangefinder, which cannot be retasked for a different lens that what it was designed for.

I'm doing sort of a silly trick. I have a top-rangefinder Pacemaker Speed Graphic and it is properly (and quite accurately) cammed for the 127mm Optar it came with. But the box still has the holes for the side-mounted Kalart, which I have scavenged off a couple of other cameras. My work area for photo stuff is currently inaccessible because of some remodeling, but when I get back to it, I will calibrate that rangefinder for an 8-1/2" Ilex Paragon, for which there was no cam for the top rangefinder in any case. That will allow me to use those two lenses with rangefinders, and scale focus the 90 with tiny apertures. That 90mm Optar WA needs a tiny aperture in any case. I think those three lenses will capture all I might ever want from that camera.

Note that for instant film, extreme focus accuracy isn't that important. The enlargement ratio is 1x, after all. I have used mine with the PA-45, and it's a lot of fun with that configuration.

Rick "waiting to finish that project" Denney

Mike Anderson
19-Sep-2010, 18:40
I'm doing sort of a silly trick. I have a top-rangefinder Pacemaker Speed Graphic and it is properly (and quite accurately) cammed for the 127mm Optar it came with. But the box still has the holes for the side-mounted Kalart, which I have scavenged off a couple of other cameras. My work area for photo stuff is currently inaccessible because of some remodeling, but when I get back to it, I will calibrate that rangefinder for an 8-1/2" Ilex Paragon, for which there was no cam for the top rangefinder in any case. That will allow me to use those two lenses with rangefinders, and scale focus the 90 with tiny apertures. That 90mm Optar WA needs a tiny aperture in any case. I think those three lenses will capture all I might ever want from that camera.
Hah! That's why I love this forum.

Note that for instant film, extreme focus accuracy isn't that important. The enlargement ratio is 1x, after all.
Good point.

...Mike