PDA

View Full Version : 90 for 4x5

seabee1999
17-Sep-2010, 20:07
Good day to all. FOrgive me for not being on here as often as I'd like. Since the last time I wrote, I moved from Fallon, NV to Port Hueneme, CA on account my duty stations changed. Currently I am deployed to the Afghan desert soon to return home to be with my wife. When I get back, I am planning a few trips back to the Sierra Mts, Death Valley and a few other spots. After being cooped up behind Hesco Bastions, berms and C-wire, I just want to hike around for a long, long time.

Well my title is a bit vague I will elaborate. I have a Calumet CC-400. I would like to get a 90mm lens to cover the 4x5 format I have. I know there are a bunch out there and I plan to either get a Fujinon or Caltar lens. I am sure the image circle will cover the format w/ movements but I am looking for some image samples of how an image looks at 90 on 4x5 if that is possible. Thanks in advance for your help.

God Bless,
David

BetterSense
17-Sep-2010, 20:11
I think, with that camera, you will need a recessed lensboard. I may be wrong, but mine came with a 90mm lens and it it was mounted in a recessed lensboard (I have never used it though).

seabee1999
17-Sep-2010, 20:27
I think, with that camera, you will need a recessed lensboard. I may be wrong, but mine came with a 90mm lens and it it was mounted in a recessed lensboard (I have never used it though).

I think you are correct. I simply forgot to mention that I do have a recessed board already for it. I think I got it about 18 months ago.

God Bless,
David

Shen45
17-Sep-2010, 20:42
I have the long rail version and can "just" use a 90 on a recessed board but it does work. If the bellows is the shorter version you will be fine.

Ed Richards
17-Sep-2010, 20:47
Caltar 90mm 6.8 lenses are Rodenstocks. Most of these were take with the Grandagon 6.8:

http://www.epr-art.com/galleries/b1-hk-churches/

http://www.epr-art.com/galleries/b3-hk-la/

But I do not think it really matters - any of the modern (last 30 years) 90mm lenses should be great. www.keh.com has a bunch of nice ones, including a Caltar II (Grandagon) 6.8 under $400.

seabee1999
17-Sep-2010, 21:13
I have the long rail version and can "just" use a 90 on a recessed board but it does work. If the bellows is the shorter version you will be fine.

Thanks for the tip Steve. The one I have I believe is the 16" rail, medium bellows. I think the long rail was 20" and the short was 12". Don't quote me on that though. Just pulling that off the top of my head. I'll look up the maunal again online and reread the specs. I wish I were home now. It would make this process a bit easier.

Caltar 90mm 6.8 lenses are Rodenstocks. Most of these were take with the Grandagon 6.8:

http://www.epr-art.com/galleries/b1-hk-churches/

http://www.epr-art.com/galleries/b3-hk-la/

But I do not think it really matters - any of the modern (last 30 years) 90mm lenses should be great. www.keh.com has a bunch of nice ones, including a Caltar II (Grandagon) 6.8 under $400.

Thank you for the links Ed. These were exactly what I was hoping for. All your images look great. My assumption is this, all the images produced on those links were made with a 4x5 and 90 combo, correct? I have been looking at KEH intently. I have seen a in there that I was hoping for. I need to wait until I leave my current place to purchase it though. My wife promised me a lens when I get back home for Christmas. I am looking to sell off 2 F4s bodies to cover the LF lens and using the Christmas gift for a 12-24 zoom for my DSLR. Thanks again.

God Bless,
David

Joshua Dunn
18-Sep-2010, 08:01
David,

In case no one explained KEH to you, their lenses rated as BGN are truly a bargain. I have bought a couple of lenses from KEH and they are a great company to deal with. The condition scale (EX, LN, BGN) is very accurate to the condition of the lens. I have bought lenses rated as EX and BGN. EX lenses look brand new, lenses rated as BGN usually have a cosmetic defect but are functionally near perfect. For example a 300mm lens I bought from KEH has some scratches from a square filter holder on the exterior of the rear element. These were on the metal portion on the rear element and had nothing to do with the glass. Other than this cosmetic flaw lens was perfect. It also saved me hundreds of dollars on the lens. I have read other posts on this form about KEH that they could not find any flaw with their BGN lens.

I have never returned anything to KEH but I did ask their return policy, they will apply their same return policy to a BGN lens as any other. So if they did not describe the lens accurately they will take it back and pay shipping. If you decide you don’t like the lens you can still return it but you would have to eat the shipping charges.

As of this writing they have a 90mm f/4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon (http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Format-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-LF060090147780?r=FE)lens listed as BGN for $484 that is probably a great buy depending on the condition of the lens.

Hope this helps.

-Joshua

Alan Davenport
18-Sep-2010, 08:08
Hello David,

Here are a few of my efforts, all taken with 90mm Caltar SW (which is a rebadged 90mm f/8 Super Angulon.)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/116/296864459_2fb5b08f08.jpg

SP&S 700 (at rest)
70 seconds @ f/22

==============================================================

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/115/250827407_ac96940bfe.jpg

Bandon Sunset

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/95/252158854_ff4a1987b2.jpg

The Light at Cape Blanco
4½ minutes @ f/22

All the best and God speed...
Alan

seabee1999
18-Sep-2010, 08:20
David,

In case no one explained KEH to you, their lenses rated as BGN are truly a bargain. I have bought a couple of lenses from KEH and they are a great company to deal with. The condition scale (EX, LN, BGN) is very accurate to the condition of the lens. I have bought lenses rated as EX and BGN. EX lenses look brand new, lenses rated as BGN usually have a cosmetic defect but are functionally near perfect. For example a 300mm lens I bought from KEH has some scratches from a square filter holder on the exterior of the rear element. These were on the metal portion on the rear element and had nothing to do with the glass. Other than this cosmetic flaw lens was perfect. It also saved me hundreds of dollars on the lens. I have read other posts on this form about KEH that they could not find any flaw with their BGN lens.

I have never returned anything to KEH but I did ask their return policy, they will apply their same return policy to a BGN lens as any other. So if they did not describe the lens accurately they will take it back and pay shipping. If you decide you don’t like the lens you can still return it but you would have to eat the shipping charges.

As of this writing they have a 90mm f/4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon (http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Format-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-LF060090147780?r=FE)lens listed as BGN for $484 that is probably a great buy depending on the condition of the lens.

Hope this helps.

-Joshua

Thanks for the help. I have made many, many, many purchases from KEH. I love their service and what all they sell. I have no issues buying from them.

Hello David,

Here are a few of my efforts, all taken with 90mm Caltar SW (which is a rebadged 90mm f/8 Super Angulon.)

All the best and God speed...
Alan

Thank you for the samples. I think this focal length will be the next lens I get for my Calumet.

Thank you all for sharing.

God Bless,
David

Gem Singer
18-Sep-2010, 09:25
Tony Flora has a 90 f6.8 Caltar II-N listed FS on this forum for a very reasonable price.

Ed Richards
18-Sep-2010, 09:33
> My assumption is this, all the images produced on those links were made with a 4x5 and 90 combo, correct?

Pretty much. There might be a couple with my normal at the time - a 60 year old, single coated Symmar. When I did most of my Katrina stuff, I had the 90mm Grandagon 6.8 and the 150mm Symmar, both cammed to a Technika, and I use the 90mm for most things. But as long as the 90mm is new enough to be multicoated, you are not going to see any differences unless it has been damaged or is a bad sample. (Alway shoot a couple of test shots when you get a new lens, just to be sure.)

seabee1999
18-Sep-2010, 19:45
Again, thank you all for you help. Which ever version I get by which ever manufacturer, I feel this will be the next LF lens I get. Sadly, I have to wait a few more weeks until I leave my current location and go back home to California.

God Bless,
David

rdenney
19-Sep-2010, 09:05
Note that the recessed board for the Calumet doesn't provide a lot of room. The Copal 0 shutter in which modern 90's are mounted might be a bit of a tight fit. You might want to study your board.

The early 90/8 Super Angulons (also rebadged as Caltars) were mounted in Compur 00 shutters, which were a bit roomier. But I still think you'll need tweezers to make adjustments.

I had a Graflex Optar-WA 90/6.8 mounted in a Graphex shutter (a rebadged Raptar), and that combination was tiny enough for the Calumet board with no real issues. I have since retasked that lens for a Speed Graphic.

One reason I moved from the CC-400 to the Calumet 45nx (Cambo SC) was to accommodate shorter lenses, but even that needed either a recessed board or a bag bellows to handle a 90. The Cambo recessed board, however, was roomier. The bag bellows would make it unnecessary, I believe.

You have the board and no doubt other lenses that will help you visualize the fit of a Copal 0, so my point is to suggest that you check it before deciding what to do. At today's prices, you might consider opening up your options with a newer camera.

Rick "whose fat fingers and trifocals came to hate recessed lens board" Denney