PDA

View Full Version : Speed Graphic Problem

Scratched Glass
17-Sep-2010, 09:06
Hi,

I've got a pacemaker speed graphic, that has a focusing problem. It starts at the break in the focusing rail that allows it to be bent to fold the camera, or use the drop bed. I'm assuming that the coupler here is broken, but it still functions. However for some reason there is a protrusion on the bottom that acts a stop, and this seems to be its intended purpose. I'm not sure why someone would want that, but it makes focusing a real pain. The rail will only extend about an inch past the bed because of this. So how do I fix this?

Thanks

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z422/sabaia29/Break.jpg
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z422/sabaia29/Stop.jpg

awldune
17-Sep-2010, 11:08
My speed is a different vintage from yours but it doesn't have that stop.

I would ask this question at graflex.org and see if they know.

Glenn Thoreson
17-Sep-2010, 12:02
I could help if the picture wasn't so dark. I can't see what the arrow is pointing to.

Sirius Glass
17-Sep-2010, 12:18
Scratched Glass,

The photos looks the same as my 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic. Ask Bert Saunders @ bsaunders1@bak.rr.com

Steve

Paul Kierstead
17-Sep-2010, 13:32
The stop should be moveable somehow (not involving force). Move it.

Neal Chaves
17-Sep-2010, 15:04
Looks to me that an infinity stop has been put on the track in the reversed position so that the finger can now fold to the outside and block the strut. Remove the infinity stop and check to see that it doesn't belong somewhere else when you become more familiar with the camera, and look out for other "mods" that may have been made.

Scratched Glass
19-Sep-2010, 09:28
I took a closer look. The stop was the coupler not a separate piece, and not an infinity stop. Fiddling around I accidentally broke of the section that was the stop and now the camera focuses pretty good, and as far as it should. It looked like the coupler was a standard kind of mod that prevented you from uselessly extending the focus rail past the reach of the rangefinder, kind of like the focus limiter on a macro lens. At least that is my guess.