PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell screen in a Chamonix 45n-2

Tony Flora
14-Sep-2010, 12:03
Wondering if anyone has tried a Maxwell screen or any other screen on the new Chamonix 45n-2. I talked to Bill Maxwell a few weeks ago and he recommended having it installed by a shop in Virginia. I am curious if anyone has had issues with the install of the new screen considering the changes to the stock back on the camera. I would like to have a maxwell screen installed but I want to be sure it's all going to work out before I buy it.
Thanks.
Tony

Kevin Crisp
14-Sep-2010, 12:46
I recently had a Maxwell screen (whatever his middle brightness one is) put in a Graflok back for my Crown Graphic. It was installed by the shop he recommends, but the only reason I did that was that it requires shimming to fit the back for proper indexing. Better to have someone do it who had done a bunch before, I figured.

If your situation is just the replacement of a ground glass, with the ground side on the inside of the camera, can't you do it yourself and save the bother?

lilmsmaggie
14-Sep-2010, 13:30
Out of curiosity: Have you tried using the camera with the stock GG?

Have you found it to be not bright enough for your particular application?

Tony Flora
14-Sep-2010, 14:02
I don't think its a simple replace. The back of the new chamonix has been changed to accept the clear protective glass that they added to protect the fresnel. The clear glass now sticks out past the wood frame. They also cut notches in the posts to allow for clearance of the glass.

Lilmsmaggie... of course I did. I like to shoot when the sun has gone beyond the horizon. Composition and focusing are extremely difficult, even with the Rodenstock 90mm 4.5.

Michael Gordon
7-Oct-2010, 14:28
Out of curiosity: Have you tried using the camera with the stock GG?

What they said!

Unless you're shooting mondo-wide; f64+; in very low light; or have poor eyes, the stock fresnel should be plenty sufficient.

stevebrot
8-Oct-2010, 09:05
Tony,
Be sure to post your impressions if you go ahead with the conversion. I have been generally happy with the stock screen and Fresnel on my 045N-2, but am always open to getting a brighter, clearer view.

Steve