PDA

View Full Version : Modify Busch Pressman back to accept Polaroid Pack holder?

Darin Boville
14-Sep-2010, 00:19
Modify Busch Pressman back to accept Polaroid Pack holder?

Topic says it all--is this possible? It is just shy of being wide enough as it is, it seems...

--Darin

Darin Boville
16-Sep-2010, 21:21
Not possible? Or unknown?

--Darin

Vick Vickery
17-Sep-2010, 09:05
Darin, have you actually tried to insert a pack holder? Its been more than 30 years since I had a 4x5 Busch, but I used a Calumet roll holder in mine and I think it was almost as thick as a 405 pack holder...had no trouble inserting the roll holder.

Darin Boville
17-Sep-2010, 10:15
The pack back are just a tad too thick. Looking into the back with a flashlight it seems I should be able to dremel off the part of the tension arm that is stopping the back from extending further, or maybe put a groove in the body so the point of the arm, which acts as a brake, can go a bit further.

Don't know which is better or what problems I might encounter. At this point I'm not even sure how to get access to the back area...

--Darin

domaz
20-Sep-2010, 14:38
Remember that the groundglass has to sit within something like 0.3 mm of where your modified Polaroid back sits for this to work. Camera backs are not forgiving at all.

Darin Boville
22-Sep-2010, 16:47
It looks to me that I can modify it without changing anything important. There are four silver arms, spring-loaded, that govern how far out the back can move. When fully extended the bottom of the arm bangs up against the camera body preventing further extension.

It seems that all I have to do is grind off a bit of the tip of those arms to allow the ar to move a bit more, this gaining the extra bit I need to get a pack back in. I'm guessing the springs will be o.k.

I'm going to give it a try and photograph the process (just in case it works!)....

--Darin

mlaw5400
20-Mar-2012, 23:43
I guess that it is a bit late to respond, but I have a Busch pressman and Polaroid film pack holder.
They are not compatible.
regards
Michael