PDA

View Full Version : Refinish - Repaint Old Lens or Not

DanK
13-Sep-2010, 11:49
What is the general consensus on re-finishing or re-painting old lenses?

Primarily concerned with exterior finish of the main body of a very large lens, that was originally black laquer, and has seen an extremely rough storage life, yet un-damaged physically....

Thanks,
Dan

Kevin Crisp
13-Sep-2010, 11:56
Why repaint it? Are you trying to get more for it when you sell it? If it is a user, use it and don't bother. The glass is what counts. I have recemented a lot of lenses to make the usable but never considered polishing up the barrel or repainting it, so long as it was functional.

DanK
13-Sep-2010, 12:45
Why repaint it? Are you trying to get more for it when you sell it? If it is a user, use it and don't bother. The glass is what counts. I have recemented a lot of lenses to make the usable but never considered polishing up the barrel or repainting it, so long as it was functional.

Thanks Kevin,

No, I don't have intentions of selling it (going to build a camera around it)

I usually wouldn't consider re-finishing on smaller lenses, but with the size, this makes me want to restore it to 'it's original glory' - (Vitax)

Glass is excellent, and lens is in perfect working order....just the paint on the body is very poor....

Dan

Steven Tribe
13-Sep-2010, 13:07
I refinish brass barrels when there are obvious corrosion problems which will eventually destroy the barrel within the next few hundred years. I don't do cosmetic repair/laquering . Projecting the inside and outside of many aluminium alloy barrels can be really necessary now as attacks/decomposition appear through the whole thickness of the barrel. This appears to be caused by spontaneous metal decomposition rather than just the entry of moisture helping the process. So putting the affected (infected!) barrel in a dry environment may not stop the continuing decomposition.

GPS
13-Sep-2010, 13:50
What is the general consensus on re-finishing or re-painting old lenses?

Primarily concerned with exterior finish of the main body of a very large lens, that was originally black laquer, and has seen an extremely rough storage life, yet un-damaged physically....

Thanks,
Dan

There are posts in the archive about restoring the original look with original lacquers - that is probably the most "correct" approach for their restoration.

DanK
13-Sep-2010, 14:04
GPS,

Would you mind letting me know the link to the thread, or the keyword for the archive you suggested...

I searched and was unable to find any post titles related to refinishing or restoring...

Thanks,
Dan

BarryS
13-Sep-2010, 14:20
It depends on the lens and condition. The Vitax isn't particularly rare, so I wouldn't hesitate to strip off the damaged black lacquer finish down to the brass and refinish with a fresh black lacquer. I've noticed that the black lacquer finish on Wollensak lenses is prone to damage. if you think you can do a reasonable job (and can properly spray on the lacquer), it's worth doing.

CCHarrison
13-Sep-2010, 14:21
I know many people are unfazed by Lead Paint, but you should consider that some older lenses do in fact have lead in their finishes. In fact, brass itself also contains lead but thats another story...

Over the years I have tested many finishes on antique lenses, and the odds about 50/50 (in my experience) there is lead in the finish... The highest amount I tested was from a CC Harrison Petzval - the black paint had a high concentraition of lead. The few Darlots I've tested had none...

Just a note for those who care

Dan

Tim Meisburger
13-Sep-2010, 14:22
I say paint it. That's what the lens maker would want (I also think we should recover the pyramids with a limestone veneer like they originally had, to restore their original look, and protect them for a further 3000 years). I've little respect for age for its own sake; and patina, unless its beautiful, is merely corrosion...

GPS
13-Sep-2010, 14:24
GPS,

Would you mind letting me know the link to the thread, or the keyword for the archive you suggested...

I searched and was unable to find any post titles related to refinishing or restoring...

Thanks,
Dan

Oh boy - now you too know that the archive searching is a great PITA...:) I'm now in a preparation for a tomorrow photo session - try "Brass lacquer" ? I hope someone will chime in, it was a greater thread ("Dragon lacquer" "Dragon blood" was used too)...

BarryS
13-Sep-2010, 14:35
Here's a link to a historically correct lacquer finish for brass lenses, but I'd go "back to black" for the Vitax.

http://www.lungov.com/wagner/DIYBrassLensReLacqueringOldWay.html

GPS
13-Sep-2010, 14:38
Pete Watkins a member here had a thread about it, you could find it in his posts - it was a lot of detailed discussion about it. Good luck!

Robert Hall
13-Sep-2010, 14:53
Try this:

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/P-CF3-F/Paint-Flat-Black-1-Fluid-Ounce.aspx

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/P-CF6-F/Paint-Gloss-Black-1-Fluid-Ounce.aspx

They have it in flat and gloss.

Lays down well.

GPS
13-Sep-2010, 15:06
"DIY Re-lacquering brass lenses" thread! ;-)

DanK
13-Sep-2010, 15:40
Projecting the inside and outside of many aluminium alloy barrels can be really necessary now as attacks/decomposition appear through the whole thickness of the barrel. This appears to be caused by spontaneous metal decomposition rather than just the entry of moisture helping the process. So putting the affected (infected!) barrel in a dry environment may not stop the continuing decomposition.

Thanks Steven....The Aluminum/Alloy Dagor mentioned in the other thread is in need of something - not for cosmetics - but because it is decomposing to the point I can scratch the paint easily with a fingernail...

It depends on the lens and condition. The Vitax isn't particularly rare, so I wouldn't hesitate to strip off the damaged black lacquer finish down to the brass and refinish with a fresh black lacquer. I've noticed that the black lacquer finish on Wollensak lenses is prone to damage. if you think you can do a reasonable job (and can properly spray on the lacquer), it's worth doing.

This Vitax is Rare - To Me - :) - I'm a po' boy - and don't think I'd ever have a chance at another....its a #4 and has great glass - I recently got the shutter and soft focus working again...

I say paint it. That's what the lens maker would want. I've little respect for age for its own sake; and patina, unless its beautiful, is merely corrosion...

Good point Tim, Thanks...

Here's a link to a historically correct lacquer finish for brass lenses, but I'd go "back to black" for the Vitax.

Thanks Barry....I considered just polishing it to brass, but definitely Back to Black...

Try this:

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/P-CF3-F/Paint-Flat-Black-1-Fluid-Ounce.aspx

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/P-CF6-F/Paint-Gloss-Black-1-Fluid-Ounce.aspx

They have it in flat and gloss.

Lays down well.

Thanks for the links Robert.....Appreciate them...

Thanks all,
Dan

goamules
13-Sep-2010, 17:05
...Over the years I have tested many finishes on antique lenses, and the odds about 50/50 (in my experience) there is lead in the finish... The highest amount I tested was from a CC Harrison Petzval - the black paint had a high concentraition of lead. The few Darlots I've tested had none...

Just a note for those who care

Dan

Hey Dan, as you know, the early lenses like CC Harrison were polished and lacquered, never painted. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a Darlot with paint...So that CC Harrison lens must have been painted after the fact. But basically you can figure any old paint has lead in it.

To the OP, like what was said above, there is no reason not to clean up a 20th century, black Vitax. If it's oxidizing and looking like junk, you will feel prouder of it restored. Whoever painted that CC Harrison discussed above though, should be talked to.

DanK
13-Sep-2010, 17:18
Thanks Garrett,

This lens was one of the 'been in a barn for over forty years lenses' ....and must've been sitting on the floor, under a roof leak, next to the chicken roost...etc...

Interesting though....it was pretty gunked up and cleaned up nicely (beyond paint)....when I pulled the soft focus lens assembly out....fingerprints from whomever handled the lens at some point in time are neatly marked into the surface of the brass....

Dan

CCHarrison
13-Sep-2010, 17:19
Garrett,

the paint I refer to is inside the lens shades and hoods, around rims, on screw threads, inside the barrel, on stops, and many times on the rear of the flange - almost ALL brass lenses have flat black paint on them, as you know, to reduce flare. Harrison Petzval shown below..

Dan

PS - I believe certain lacquers contain lead too...

Louis Pacilla
13-Sep-2010, 17:25
"Hey Dan, as you know, the early lenses like CC Harrison were polished and lacquered, never painted. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a Darlot with paint...So that CC Harrison lens must have been painted after the fact. But basically you can figure any old paint has lead in it. "

Garret, Dan may be talking about internal barrel paint . All of mine have it. Just a guess on what Dan was talking about

Well Dan beat me to it.

goamules
13-Sep-2010, 17:51
Ah-so, my mistake, you meant the internal paint. So...don't lick it?

CCHarrison
13-Sep-2010, 17:56
Yes, dont lick your lenses.

And, for those of you perhaps more environmentally sensitive, refinishing a lens can be a bit more hazardous than one would think.

DanK
13-Sep-2010, 19:39
I am actually quite fond of this lens, as yet... I will do my best to keep myself from licking it :)

On a more serious note, I understand the precautions required when working with potentially harmful substances, and will take necessary precautions...I too would recommend the same...bsts

Dan