PDA

View Full Version : Upsizing filters - much is needed?

Ed Richards
12-Sep-2010, 18:27
I am working on a lightweight lens kit which would eventually include an 80mm XL, 110mm XL, and 150mm Siranon-W. The XLs both have 67mm filters and the 150 uses 72mm. I would like something more compact than my Lee system, but I do not want to compromise the field of view of the lenses. I suspect that upsizing the 67s to 72 would not be enough to avoid vignetting with the combination of the adapter ring and the filter. I am wondering how much bigger I would need to go.

Another alternative would be the Cokin P and the Cokin wide angle adapter - again it is much smaller than the Lee system. Anyone have experience with a P system on the 80 and 110? It should not be a problem with the 150.

Wally
14-Sep-2010, 17:01
Don't they specify a center filter for the 80mmXL? If they do, you might want to look at getting a step-up ring that's the same outer diameter as the center filter they specify, so if you ever wanted to use the center filter you'd have bought the right-size filters for it. That might push it past the size of the Cokin P-system.

I have a center filter for my Rodenstock 90mm 4.5, and it's outer diameter is, I believe, 105mm.

Eric Woodbury
14-Sep-2010, 17:26
If you want lightweight, use gels in little cardboard holders and a snap on Lee gel holder. Then, a bunch of filters in a little pouch will cover all lenses up to almost 100mm.

Arne Croell
14-Sep-2010, 19:23
I am working on a lightweight lens kit which would eventually include an 80mm XL, 110mm XL, and 150mm Siranon-W. The XLs both have 67mm filters and the 150 uses 72mm. I would like something more compact than my Lee system, but I do not want to compromise the field of view of the lenses. I suspect that upsizing the 67s to 72 would not be enough to avoid vignetting with the combination of the adapter ring and the filter. I am wondering how much bigger I would need to go.

Another alternative would be the Cokin P and the Cokin wide angle adapter - again it is much smaller than the Lee system. Anyone have experience with a P system on the 80 and 110? It should not be a problem with the 150.
Why the Apo-Sironar W? Is this for 4x5 or 5x7? Its not exactly a lightweight lens for its focal length. The Apo-Sironar S is at least as good (actually slightly better in the center) and then you just need a step-up ring for the 67mm filters.

Henry Ambrose
14-Sep-2010, 19:36
Ed,

Gels and plastic filters and their holders for the front of the lens will defeat your handy light weight approach. Not the weight but they are not handy in the field, IMO. Gels in particular are finicky in the field and have to be really shaded or you will get reflections and flares. If you do use gels get a holder for the rear of the lens - that takes care of shading the gel. Someone will no doubt bring up focus shift but I would not worry about it at all. Its technically correct but of no effect in the kind of shooting you are doing. And shooting outdoors you can leave the filter in the camera while you set up.

If you're going to use the 80 with the CF you should step up to 86mm screw in filters with step down rings for your other lenses. But those are big and heavy - and expensive. Or, again, use gels on the back of the lens.

Brian Ellis
15-Sep-2010, 08:20
Don't they specify a center filter for the 80mmXL? If they do, you might want to look at getting a step-up ring that's the same outer diameter as the center filter they specify, so if you ever wanted to use the center filter you'd have bought the right-size filters for it. That might push it past the size of the Cokin P-system.

I have a center filter for my Rodenstock 90mm 4.5, and it's outer diameter is, I believe, 105mm.

I'm not aware that a center filter is specified by anyone for the 80mm XL. I used one for quite a while without a center filter and never had any problems using b&w film. Possibly it would be different with slide film.

Ed Richards
15-Sep-2010, 18:44
> Why the Apo-Sironar W?

Coverage - I use a lot of movements.

Henry - once tried the gels behind the lens, but that meant taking the lens out of the camera repeatedly while in the field. Way too risky for my taste when I am in adverse environments.

I may just stick with my Lee filters. I find round filters to be a pain - I have dropped them into impenetrable brush and onto concrete crypts. 4x4 are easier to hold and harder to lose.:-) The flare is a problem and that is better with the round filters.