PDA

View Full Version : Filters for Schneider Sinar Symmar 300mm/ 500mm Lens - Filter Size?

Fragomeni
12-Sep-2010, 14:36
Hi everyone. I just picked up this lens and I'm trying to figure out what size filters I should be looking for. I'd like to pick up a set before the lens gets here so that I can start shooting asap. Any idea what size I'm looking for? Thanks! I doubt the picture will help but below is the lens. Thanks!

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy313/guerillaChesko/Ebay/Symmar8x10.png

Paul Ewins
12-Sep-2010, 14:46
It is a little bit odd - 86mm. You may be better off getting something like the cokin filters if you use grads and colours a lot.

Fragomeni
12-Sep-2010, 14:51
I just need a good set for B&W. I don't do any color in this format. So it's 86mm that I'm looking for? Can you tell me a bit about the Cokin filters you mentioned? I'm looking at the website now but I'd like a personal take on them. Thanks.

Fragomeni
12-Sep-2010, 14:55
Also, Cokin's chart shows that they don't actually have filters in 86mm...

Fragomeni
12-Sep-2010, 15:17
Ok, Im looking at Cokin's website now and it seems as though the Z-Pro series holder will work with the lens but I'm not sure which. They have a Z486A and Z486B that are slightly different sizes. Which is the one that I'm looking for? Any idea where I can get these? Thanks.

Peter K
12-Sep-2010, 15:32
I just need a good set for B&W. I don't do any color in this format. So it's 86mm that I'm looking for?
Its 86 x 1 mm actually.

Filters for b&w are aviable e. g. from Helioplan (http://www.heliopan.de/index.shtml) as you can see here (http://www.heliopan.de/Preisliste.pdf) on page 7 also for your Symmar 300mm.

Have fun
Peter

Daniel Unkefer
12-Sep-2010, 16:03
I have a Zeiss Hasselblad 86mm UV on mine. I also have a Hasseblad 86mm Zeiss Yellow, Orange, and Yellow-Green. I have bought mine from KEH.com and Ebay. Also I have Red and Polarizing filters, purchased locally from Midwest Photo.

86mm was popular in the Eastern bloc. The 50mm Zeiss Flektagon and the 180mm F2.8 Zeiss CZJ also take the same 86mm filter. -Panchromar- 86mm is the Eastern source. Search ebay "86mm" from time to time, and see what comes up.

Fragomeni
12-Sep-2010, 16:18
Its 86 x 1 mm actually.

Thanks. So that means I'll need to go with Z486B if I go with the Cokin system.

I have a Zeiss Hasselblad 86mm UV on mine. I also have a Hasseblad 86mm Zeiss Yellow, Orange, and Yellow-Green. I have bought mine from KEH.com and Ebay. Also I have Red and Polarizing filters, purchased locally from Midwest Photo.

86mm was popular in the Eastern bloc. The 50mm Zeiss Flektagon and the 180mm F2.8 Zeiss CZJ also take the same 86mm filter. -Panchromar- 86mm is the Eastern source.

Thanks for this information Daniel. I'll check out KEH and see what they have. The lens should be here by Tuesday evening at the latest so first thing I'll do is have it checked out to make sure that the spacing between the elements is correct and a proper aperture scale is present. I'll be making sure that its not just elements that have been screwed onto a shutter. I really hope this works out as this will be a killer lens if its set up properly.

BrianShaw
12-Sep-2010, 16:36
... make sure that the spacing between the elements is correct ...

How does one (meaning, "mere mortals") do that?

Daniel Unkefer
12-Sep-2010, 16:58
Mine is Killer. You can see every pore in the skin, ultra-razor sharp resolution, great "face" lens.