PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 film holder repair

Gary Meader
3-May-2002, 12:29
Has anyone heard of a low cost repair/refurbishing service for wooden 8x10 holders. I've done the taping of the hinges, but I think the leaks are coming from the end of the hinged part, not the long hinge itself. I think the old wood has shrunk, and am not sure how to light-tighten them. And I can't go and pay $60. apiece for new ones. Thanks

John Kasaian
3-May-2002, 13:47
Gary, the May/June 2001 issue of View Camera has an article by Gordon Hutchings on buying wooden DCFHs. As I recall he went into considerable detail on what repairs could be accomplished and if they'd be worth the time/effort. I remember there seemed to be a preference for the Graphlex-Eastman-Kodak holders as you could take them apart whereas the Agfas were pretty much riveted together.FWIW, last year I bought four new Liscos for use in my aerial project--- hated to spend the money but I wanted to be sure I could depend on them---last week I took a mixed bag of my new Liscos and my old Eastmans. Needless to say the Eastmans worked out better, with crisp lines along the borders where the dark slides go. The Liscos looked rather sloppy. Go figure!

David R Munson
4-May-2002, 01:11
I've fixed broken parts of old wooden 8x10 holders by building up splintered or missing sections of wood with either wood filler for dents and holes and such, or epoxy paste for places that needed built up. With a little time and sandpaper added to the equation, my holders now all work excellently without any light leaks or such. As for shrunken wood, not sure specifically how to make things tighter, but if nothing else you might try using some material like a thin felt or even gaff tape to take up minor gaps and get thigns lightproof again.