PDA

View Full Version : PA 45 or Polaroid 405 for R.B. Graflex

Fragomeni
11-Sep-2010, 12:16
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has been able to make a Fuji PA 45 or Polaroid 405 (or Fuji equivalent) work with an R.B. Graflex 4x5 camera? I understand there are clear issues resulting from the Graflex back vs. Graphic or Graflok back and there is no ground glass (in most cases) on the R.B. Graflex cameras but someone out there has to have made this work. I have my R.B. Graflex Series B in front of me right now and I'm looking at a Bag Mag, Grafmatic back, and half of an old pack film holder and I think the pack film holder could be modified to hold the PA 45 or similar instant film holder and match the film plane. Anyway, Im looking for ideas on how I can make this work or if a solution is already out there please let me know! The R.B. Graflex cameras are such great cameras it would be a shame not to be able to put some instant film through them. Let me know, thanks!

rjbuzzclick
12-Sep-2010, 11:55
I've heard of people getting the 405 back to fit under spring backs on Speed Graphics by backing out the screws holding the springs down by a few turns. I don't know if this will work on your RB or not.

Fragomeni
12-Sep-2010, 12:20
The R.B. doesn't have a spring back. That was usually only done by special order by Graflex or people have had the camera modified to take a spring or Graflok back but that thats major work and modification. Not as simples as just taking a back off of a Speed and putting on the R.B. unfortunately. So far it doesn't look like it'll work without a large amount of work :(

rjbuzzclick
12-Sep-2010, 12:30
Good to know. I've been thinking an RB would be fun to get, but I also like the ability to use Polaroid 405 and roll film backs.

Fragomeni
12-Sep-2010, 12:45
I highly recommend getting an R.B.! Its probably the best press style LF camera in my opinion. You can do great things with a Speed and they're phenomenal in their own right (I have 2 that I use frequently) but the SLR style in 4x5 is unmatched and with some inexpensive modifications like a simple lens hood and filters you have a serious photograph making machine. Mine is a Series B and I absolutely love it but I'll be looking for a Super D as well.