PDA

View Full Version : John Sexton Lecture on Ansel Adams - Wed September 22, 2010

John Sexton
11-Sep-2010, 10:30
I wanted to let my Large Format Photography Forum friends know about my upcoming lecture Ansel Adams: A Personal Recollection sponsored by the Monterey Museum of Art. The lecture is being offered in association with the beautiful exhibition of more than seventy prints Ansel Adams: Portrait of America. It is a rare opportunity to see this group of photographs, as the prints are the personal collection of Ansel and Virginia’s daughter Anne Adams Helms.

Here are the specifics:

Ansel Adams: A Personal Recollection
Lecture by John Sexton
Wednesday - September 22, 2010 - 7:00 PM
Monterey Institute of International Studies Irvine Auditorium
499 Pierce Street, Monterey, California
General admission $10. Monterey Museum of Art members $5.

For additional information visit the Monterey Museum of Art web site:
http://www.montereyart.org/events/ansel-adams-a-personal-recollection/

I always like speaking about Ansel and his influence on my photography, and indeed my life. During my presentation I will discuss the nuances of Ansel’s renowned photographic techniques, provide insights into Ansel’s creative process, and present some of his well-known, as well as lesser known, images. A number of images will be transformed on the screen from the negative to the final print - progressing through various phases in the evolution of a finely crafted expressive print. In this lecture I am also including information about Ansel’s early glass plate negatives. It will be an opportunity to see some of these images, along with reproductions of vintage prints from that era. I will also be sharing first-hand insights concerning the glass plate negatives, alleged to have been made by Ansel, that have received so much media coverage of late.

In addition, I will recount personal anecdotes of working side by side with Ansel. I will also be sharing a few images from my own photographic career.

Cheers!

John

Mark Woods
11-Sep-2010, 10:50
Hello John,

Is it possible that you can video tape this talk? There's no way I can get up there because of the conflicts in my schedule.

Mark

John Sexton
11-Sep-2010, 10:54
Mark,

Sorry - the presentation just won't work on video tape. Hopefully, someday I will be able to make a similar presentation in your area. Thanks so much for your interest. John

bob carnie
11-Sep-2010, 10:59
I would love to attend , hear you speak and see the work, but not this fall..

David Karp
11-Sep-2010, 12:07
John,

Good to see you post here once and a while.

Andrew O'Neill
11-Sep-2010, 18:20
John,

It would be wonderful if you could ever make it up to Vancouver, BC, Canada. People would attend in droves.

roteague
11-Sep-2010, 21:55
I'd love to attend, but I'll be shooting in Australia that day.

joselsgil
16-Sep-2010, 15:29
Mark,

Sorry - the presentation just won't work on video tape. Hopefully, someday I will be able to make a similar presentation in your area. Thanks so much for your interest. John

A Southern California presentation sounds like a very good idea. I would definately attend.

36cm2
16-Sep-2010, 16:13
John, it's a great pleasure to hear about events like this. I would humbly ask that you further consider syndicating future presentations. Reaching out to a broad audience with your novel experiences would be great for us all and for the medium. I'll certainly see you when you're next in the NYC area, but would relish a similar opportunity through any medium sooner.

Respectfully,
Leo

Mark Woods
16-Sep-2010, 16:19
John, thank you for your kind response. And I second the SoCal presentation. BTW, the DuncanMiller Gallery in West LA is having a reception tonight and is showing both AA's prints and the recently discovered "AA" glass negs.