PDA

View Full Version : Lens repaired or is it a botched job?

martin howard
11-Sep-2010, 07:13
Hi folks,
I could really do with some expert advice.
I bought a lens recently and discovered the aperture lever had absolutely no resistance, you could blow it and it would move.
I sent it back to the shop from where I bought it for repair and it has been returned in under a week!
The aperture lever now has resistance but I decided to remove it from the lens board to see if it had been a proper job.
The problem is I still can't tell. What I can say is that there is still resistance when the lens is not attached to the lens board. And what disturbs me the most is the large amount of surplus grease between the aperture dial and the lens board. None of my other lenses have this but none have been seviced in my ownership.
Could someone please tell me if this looks like a quick fix rather than a proper permanent solution to the problem?

Best regards,

Marty

darr
11-Sep-2010, 07:30
I am no lens expert, but I have never had a lens look like that! I would be disturbed. :(

BarryS
11-Sep-2010, 07:30
Wow--a total hack job that amounts to fraud. Return the lens immediately and demand a full refund. They obviously did nothing to repair the shutter and the huge amount of grease is a recipe to destroy the shutter as it attracts dirt and debris.

memorris
11-Sep-2010, 07:52
I have had a lens repaired because of shutter failure. It had no grease at all and I would think that as well as dirt, it would also potentially cause problems with shutter operation and accuracy. As BarryS said, return it and demand a full refund.

martin howard
11-Sep-2010, 08:18
OK just a quick update.

Whether it's the right solution to the problem or not or just shoddy workmanship, I've lost confidence in the lens. So I'm following your advice guys and what my best instincts were telling me.

I've already phoned the shop and they're going to give a full refund no questions asked no hard feelings.

Thanks for your speedy response, you really helped me make up my mind.

Cheers,

Marty

GPS
11-Sep-2010, 09:49
The aperture now works properly, you say. What would happen if you calmly wiped that grease and used the lens as intended?

BrianShaw
11-Sep-2010, 12:49
I predict that doing so (calmly wiping) would work for a while, but another problem related to improper/excessive greasing would be exeprienced fairly soon.

Jim Galli
11-Sep-2010, 12:58
Scary! I think you made the best choice.

erie patsellis
11-Sep-2010, 13:31
The aperture now works properly, you say. What would happen if you calmly wiped that grease and used the lens as intended?

Quite likely nothing ill, at least not for many years. (how many months/years is a gamble, might be never, could be in a few months)

I'm often surprised at how little operating force is needed for a freshly cleaned, non lubricated aperture assembly. It's shocking how easily they can move, especially if you've been used to older, gunked up ones. In all likelyhood, it was just fine previously, many repair people I've used over the years prefer to not add any lubricant to the aperture ring assembly, as it will thicken over time and get stiffer.

While I think they really screwed the pooch on this one, I suppose that's one way to add some dampening the mechanism.

GPS
11-Sep-2010, 13:35
I predict that doing so (calmly wiping) would work for a while, but another problem related to improper/excessive greasing would be exeprienced fairly soon.

Except that the excessive greasing would not be there any more, because wiped...
Chances are that the outer greasing was just an act of inexperience of somebody who meant well but did not understand it all... I would bet that the grease was not used inside the shutter (where it was too free). But whatever the fact is, to wipe it and see if more comes or not is a question of a simple gesture...