PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack!

torontogal
10-Sep-2010, 14:29
So yes I am a total newbie to LF and I am having a panic attack.

I just bought a Linhof V and while trying to open the blades I pushed to hard and the lens has moved counter clockwise about a half inch. (I didnt know that I had to push the little button as opposed to pushing it so the lens moved.) To make matters worse, a little pin, also about a half inch long fell on my lap! After looking at the camera I think this pin has come from the place to insert the cord for making the exposure.

I can't seem to get the lens to turn back into the correct position and where does the pin go?

Help!

GPS
10-Sep-2010, 15:01

I can't seem to get the lens to turn back into the correct position and where does the pin go?

To Marflex, I suppose...;)

aduncanson
10-Sep-2010, 15:18
Don't Panic!

Well at least not too much. Most large format lenses are mounted only by a retaining ring, with two opposing slots, spun onto the shutter on the back side of the lens board. When these rings are loose it is possible to spin the lens and it usually has no real consequences. You will probably want to find some kind of lens wrench (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/131992-USA/Rodenstock_260600.html) (there are other sources) to loosen and tighten these rings.

In the mean time it is often possible to spin the shutter backwards to loosen the ring, and then holding the ring as still as you can with one hand, re-tighten the shutter with the other. I will not recommend that you try to turn the ring by applying a screw driver to one or both of the slots because that is a great way to scratch up something that you will later wish was pristine.

Some lenses use a very small screw projecting out of the back of the shutter into a tiny hole drilled in the lens board. This keeps the shutter from turning even if the retaining ring is loose.

As for the 1/2 inch pin that fell out - I have no real idea. It might be a contact from the sync socket, in which case if you don't intend to use flash then it has no immediate consequences. Or it might just be a loose piece such as a hinge pin from elsewhere in the camera or possible even never was part of the camera.

Enjoy your Technika!

Wayne Crider
10-Sep-2010, 15:18
Don't freak. Pull the lens board out and see if the jam nut on the back holding the lens on the board is loose allowing the lens to move. If the front lens moved just turn it back on. Then look at the lever(s) on the lens and see if a pin is missing. Also cock the lens and release it by hand and see if it shoots. If you can cock and shoot it thats good. Someone here will have a better idea on the pin if you state the make and focal length of the lens or take a picture and post it.

torontogal
10-Sep-2010, 16:26
Thanks so much for the words of wisdom.

There is a retaining ring with two opposing slots on the back of the lens board.

The lens is a Linhof Select Schneider Kreuznach Symmar 5.6/150 12/265.
I googled for a lens wrench specific to the brand of lens and did not see one. I also looked on Ebay and seen the adjustable wrenches being either 1/32, 3/32 or 1/16th. Any suggestions for which one?

I can still cock the lens and release it...yahoo.

Also, I do think that mysterious pin is somehow related to the flash.

Thanks again!

Atul Mohidekar
10-Sep-2010, 17:47
A suggestion...
It would be of great help to the experts on this forum to help you if you could post a couple of pictures of the parts you described in your post. A picture is worth a thousand words!

// Atul

Richard K.
10-Sep-2010, 18:15
If you're in the Royal York/Bloor area I could meet you at the Tim's on Islington and take a look for you...:)

Wayne Crider
10-Sep-2010, 18:39
You just need a spanner wrench to tighten the jam nut. Here's a link to what you are looking for at one dealer just to show you. They come in slotted tips and pointed tips. All you really need is a cheap pair. The site has 9 pages of items to choose from. I bought the cheap combo set a long time ago that you see on this page but you probably won't need the pointed pair for now. If the slots on the nut are really thin, say 1/2 the thickness of a CD, you may need a pair that takes replaceable tips in different sizes. More money tho.
http://www.micro-tools.com/store/C-SPN/Spanner-WrenchsLens-Tools.aspx

If the rear lens is in the way just unscrew it, tighten the nut remembering to first position the lens the way you want it, and screw the lens back in. You'll get the hang of fixing/repairing and upgrading the cameras as you go and there's plenty of us here to help.

torontogal
10-Sep-2010, 19:49
I found this link to be extremely informative.

The pin that I found is the release coupler!

So much to learn....so much learned!

torontogal
10-Sep-2010, 19:49
http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/recessed_lensboard/