PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding purchase of Photoshop cs5

Barry Trabitz
8-Sep-2010, 13:51
I am presently using Photoshop 7. I have an opportunity to purchase cs5 from Adobe for $299. ( this is because of my new Epsom 750 including Photoshop Elements in the purchase package.)

My question is: will the new version allow me to do anything more or better than my old version? I primarily photograph landscape in B&W.

Mods: If this is the wrong forum for this question please move it.

Any advice will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Barry.

Bob McCarthy
8-Sep-2010, 15:11
It's really a matter of how you use Photoshop. The program has greatly improved tools and features since you purchased your version. If you do editing at all I would highly recommend upgrading.

Bob

Brian Ellis
8-Sep-2010, 15:19
There have been five versions of Photoshop since 7 so obviously there's a lot to CS5 that isn't in 7. Whether you can do anything more or better than you're doing in 7 depends on what you do in 7. It could be that CS5 only makes things you already do easier to do or less time-consuming, it's hard to say without knowing what you do in 7. But if it were me I'd grab CS5 for that price if I was still working with 7.

D. Bryant
8-Sep-2010, 18:08
My question is: will the new version allow me to do anything more or better than my old version? I primarily photograph landscape in B&W.

Barry,

Without a doubt and with no equivocation, yes it is a better version than 7, though CS5 will be a lot more demanding of your hardware.

Don Bryant

Ed Richards
8-Sep-2010, 18:11
How old is your hardware? If it is too old and slow, CS5 might work so slowly that you could not stand it. Otherwise, absolutely go for it.

Frank Petronio
8-Sep-2010, 22:27
If you plan on getting a new computer sometime this decade, then upgrading to CS5 is pretty much required.

You're lucky. Most people can only get the upgrade price at the limit of making a three version jump. In other words, CS2 owners get the upgrade price but CS (1) owners need to buy the full new version to get into CS5.

Even if you don't find the new features worthwhile, you have to upgrade frequently enough that that software will work with the OS and hardware. They've gotcha....

B.S.Kumar
8-Sep-2010, 23:59
I bought the full version of CS1 and upgraded to CS2. Can I get an upgrade to CS5, or do I need to get the full version?

Kumar

Brian Ellis
9-Sep-2010, 05:35
I bought the full version of CS1 and upgraded to CS2. Can I get an upgrade to CS5, or do I need to get the full version?

Kumar

There's no difference between an "upgrade" and a "full version." The term "upgrade" is a little misleading because it sounds like it's just an add-on to your existing version. But it isn't, it's the full stand-alone CS5. At least that's my understanding.

B.S.Kumar
9-Sep-2010, 06:06
There's no difference between an "upgrade" and a "full version." The term "upgrade" is a little misleading because it sounds like it's just an add-on to your existing version. But it isn't, it's the full stand-alone CS5. At least that's my understanding.

I'm not asking for what's in the box. Am I eligible to get the upgrade discount for CS5?

Kumar

Frank Petronio
9-Sep-2010, 07:23
If you own a legal registered copy of CS2 then you should qualify but please confirm this at the Adobe site.

Barry Trabitz
9-Sep-2010, 09:00
Many thanks to all who gave me advice. My new computer should be able to handle the upgrade. I guess it's a go.

Barry.

Bob Sawin
15-Sep-2010, 22:32
I just (yesterday) upgraded from CS2 on a PC to CS5 on a Mac. I called Adobe and explained what I wanted to do. I was told that I qualified and I should have no problem. When I purchased the upgrade at the local Apple store I explained to the "genius" what I was doing....again told I should have no problem.

As it turns out there is a special process for cross-platform upgrades and it is a hassle. If you are contemplating a cross-platform upgrade call Adobe Sales first and explain what you are doing.

Having said that CS5 on a Mac is a joy...

Best regards,

Bob