PDA

View Full Version : Sinar 6 x 7 roll film back?

joshdaskew
7-Sep-2010, 22:33
Hi, Was just wondering if Sinar made a 6 x 7 roll film back that slides under the ground glass? I thought I read somewhere that they did but cannot find any information on it.. I have the variable format one and think it is great.. With the tests i have done it seems to deliver in focus results even when shooting wide open (was tested with a Schneider Xenotar 150mm @ 2.8). I also did this same test with a horseman 6 x 7 back and they didn't seem to be consistently sharp.. Anyone out there with any thoughts? Thanks so much. Cheers Josh

Oren Grad
7-Sep-2010, 23:05
Yes. Sinar made fixed 6x7, 6x9 and 6x12 rollholders in addition to the Vario, Zoom and Zoom 2 models.

joshdaskew
8-Sep-2010, 00:48
Ok, thanks so much. Do you know if they slide underneath the groundglass by any chance? Also, how rare are these? I have never seen them with any google search I have done.. Ok, thanks again..

uhner
8-Sep-2010, 02:22
The 6x7 roll film holder slip under the ground glass. They are fairly common in Europe, and they turn up on ebay Germany from time to time.

That said; I have no idea if the 6x7 holders are as good as the vario and zoom versions in keeping the film flat. But if you describe or take a picture of the film guide system on your holder I can compare with the construction on my 6x7.

36cm2
8-Sep-2010, 05:09
I have 6X7 and 6x9 Sinar rollbacks. They slide under the spring back ground glass of my Tachahari just fine. I don't use them as much as I used to, but they have always produced excellent results and been a joy to use.

Leo

B.S.Kumar
8-Sep-2010, 06:21
I used a Sinar Zoom 2 for a while, and it was excellent. Since the performance was exactly like the Horseman 6x9 and 6x12 backs I already had, I figured I didn't need the slight compositional advantage, and sold it.

Kumar

evan clarke
8-Sep-2010, 06:57
Hi, Was just wondering if Sinar made a 6 x 7 roll film back that slides under the ground glass? I thought I read somewhere that they did but cannot find any information on it.. I have the variable format one and think it is great.. With the tests i have done it seems to deliver in focus results even when shooting wide open (was tested with a Schneider Xenotar 150mm @ 2.8). I also did this same test with a horseman 6 x 7 back and they didn't seem to be consistently sharp.. Anyone out there with any thoughts? Thanks so much. Cheers Josh

Yes, My shooting buddy and I both have one and it's very good...Evan CLarke

Lynn Jones
8-Sep-2010, 07:54
-Hi Josh,

I'll add a bit to this discussion. The same 4 people who created the Calumet C1 camera (Ryan, Jones, Booko, Becker) also created the 120/220 6x7 (actually 2/25"X2.75") roll holder. This format was created shortly after WWII by Fred Simmon of Omega fame.

Bill Ryan and I created 220 roll film in 1966, Kodak was so excited about it that they, jointly with Calumet, introduced the products in the fall of '66 at the PPA convention.

The very strongest point of this system was the film plane location. ASA/ANSI specification permitted a plus/minus .007" of variation. We regarded this as protection for bad manufacturing. The Calumet 120/220 had a film plane location of +/- .0035 or one half the ASA specification. By the way, that was darned hard to achieve, our chief machinist/toolmaker, Art Netzel was primarily responsible for this manufacturing adjustment (with some assistance from me). Since the new owners of Calumet phased out of manufacturing and sold most of this stuff to Cambo, I won't gguarantee that the later models were that technically competent.

Lynn

joshdaskew
12-Sep-2010, 21:11
Hi, Thanks to everyone for their responses, much appreciated! So, the reason I am inquiring particularly about the Sinar 6 x 7 back is because I have had good results with the Multi Format back and would presume the same precise standards apply to the 67 back.

Lynn, your comments are very interesting indeed as I plan to combine the 6 x 7 back with shooting a Pentax 67 105mm 2.4 which has a very shallow depth of field, so precision at the film plane is very important..

How do you tell the difference between the models you are referring to and later models?

Ok, Thanks again.. Cheers Josh

Armin Seeholzer
13-Sep-2010, 02:34
I have many different RFHs and they are all very good: Horseman, Sinar, Toyo and also the Linhofs are very good but I do not have the last, but know it from friends.
The Calumet/Cambo is by far the only which I can't recomand, film flatness is not really there, mine was the first RFH which I buyed and is still the worst I can not even sell it otherwise I had to lie!

For backpacking the Horseman type is best, because it is very small for studio use the Sinar is like the Linhof Rapid the way to go. The Toyo slips also under the groundglass but I think only on a Toyo on a Sinar it will only work on the graflok part so you have to remove the groundglass.
...and good luck to find a Calumet from the good times, but if they did not change the system of the small rolls then it will still not be very acurate!

Cheers Armin