PDA

View Full Version : Dave Wooten - made my Day

bob carnie
7-Sep-2010, 12:19
Thanks to Vindaloo Dave I am officially a large format knob.

Although I am not as big a knob as Monty McCutchen with his 20x24 monster. But as we all know , he is the king of knobs.

I am now in trust of a 8x10 camera , holders and lenses, now I just need to figure out how to lift it off the ground and onto a tripod.
Dave , packaged the whole deal and sent it too me via UPS and it now is going to make magic for me.

If one of you can send me a tilley hat , I then would feel like a total large format knob and part of the clan.

Better yet those hats look so silly I would rather get a film vest, or even a pipe, . Ok now that I think of it forget the hats or vests. I am too cool for those, but I do think I will need a buggy to push this monster around.

thanks again Dave , I will put it to good use.

vinny
7-Sep-2010, 12:48
I've only met Dave once but I could tell he was a good guy. Enjoy the new camera and that giant viewfinder.

LaurentB
7-Sep-2010, 13:02
I met Dave once also, and he is a REALLY god guy ! He's been my guide/driver for a whole day around Las Vegas, and this was a great day.

Have fun with your new camera !

cdholden
7-Sep-2010, 13:20
<snip>
but I do think I will need a buggy to push this monster around.

thanks again Dave , I will put it to good use.

Bob,
Talk to John Powers, also a forum member here. He can give you tips on how to pimp your baby stroller ride, complete with 20 inch wheels and anything else you can think would make you ghetto fabulous.
Best of luck.
Chris

Bruce Watson
7-Sep-2010, 13:56
...it now is going to make magic for me.

Watch the "magic bullet" thinking there my friend. It's a tool. You, make magic, using it. Not the other way around. And before you make magic, you make frustration. Sad but true.

That said, I've never had so much fun making so much frustration in my life. And when you do make magic, it is definitely way cool.

Here's hoping your journey to magic is at least half as much fun as mine has been!

jeroldharter
7-Sep-2010, 15:04
Watch the "magic bullet" thinking there my friend. It's a tool. You, make magic, using it. Not the other way around....

I beg to differ! The Tilley is a magic bullet. I suggest some white Crocs to enhance the ensemble and a baby stroller for toting your gear. Then the magic happens.

bob carnie
7-Sep-2010, 15:06
I have yellow and orange crocs, I hope you are not implying they are not cool.

I beg to differ! The Tilley is a magic bullet. I suggest some white Crocs to enhance the ensemble and a baby stroller for toting your gear. Then the magic happens.

Bruce Watson
7-Sep-2010, 15:42
I beg to differ! The Tilley is a magic bullet.

Naw. If a hat can be a magic bullet, it would be the Columbia Tora Bora Booney (http://www.rei.com/product/778057). That's what I use to keep the sun off my balding pate. I don't give half a damn if it looks silly -- it works like a charm. I'll take function over looks every time. The proof? I use a view camera!

Peter Gomena
7-Sep-2010, 20:54
My kids won't be seen with me in my Tora Bora Booney.

Break you nose, grow a white beard and wear a Stetson.

Peter Gomena

sanking
7-Sep-2010, 21:01
Thanks to Vindaloo Dave I am officially a large format knob.

Although I am not as big a knob as Monty McCutchen with his 20x24 monster. But as we all know , he is the king of knobs.

No matter what size knob you have, the vindaloo stuff breaks down all barriers on its way to the St. Lawrence River.

My advice, in place of vindaloo use Tabasco, Texas Pete, or any other sauces derived from cayenne and jalapeno peppers. But avoid that vindaloo stuff, even if Dave loves it.

Sandy King

Dave Wooten
7-Sep-2010, 22:19
:) :) :)

Jim Galli
8-Sep-2010, 07:21
Vindaloo Dave :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dave has the recipe to make that 8X10 seem like a wee camera. Go shoot about 4 pictures with his 14X17 (do a couple on the roof of the car ala A. A.) and you'll be kissing that teeny 8X10

Bruce Watson
8-Sep-2010, 07:30
No matter what size knob you have, the vindaloo stuff breaks down all barriers on its way to the St. Lawrence River.

My advice, in place of vindaloo use Tabasco, Texas Pete, or any other sauces derived from cayenne and jalapeno peppers.

You wimp! ;-) Nothing beats a nice hot vindalu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vindaloo). A good vindalu isn't about the heat -- it's about the flavor! In comparison, hot pepper based sauces are just that -- hot, and little else. No question which I'd rather have.

I was lucky enough to work for a Brit for three years. He taught me all about Indian food, and vindalus in particular. I could kick myself for all those years I didn't know the joys of a good hot Southern Indian curry. Thankfully he caught and corrected that mistake in my education -- nearly 30 years ago. I've had many a delicious curry since.

My advice, if anyone hasn't tried Southern Indian food, give it a try. Don't be afraid of flavor!