PDA

View Full Version : Bellows magnifier for Sinar?

hnaa
7-Sep-2010, 08:55
Hello,
I just noticed a very clever gizmo for the Linhof system; a bellows magnifier. Apparently it is a dark cloth and a magnifier all in one. Do you know if Sinar makes something like this, or if it is possible to adapt a Linhof Bellows Magnifier to my Sinar F1?

Bob Salomon
7-Sep-2010, 09:08
No, it isn't and they don't have one like it. Actually the Linhof Focus/Metering Bellows now has two magnifiers in it. When they are screwed together you have a 4x loupe that can get in close to the GG/Fresnel to magnifu an image area about the size of a US Quarter. When using only one it is 2x and can be pulled back to view the entire gg/fresnel at 2 times magnification. Also, when used as a 2x you can slip an exposure meter with a Society size microscope adapter into the eyepiece and meter the entire gg/fresnel, a part of the gg/fresnel or a spot the diameter of a quarter. Gossen made adapters for their Luna Pro series of meters.

The original Focus/Metering Bellows only had a single, fixed 2x loupe in the eyepiece rather then the current two loupe version.

Stephane
7-Sep-2010, 11:10
I got this with a sinar norma 5x7. The bellows fit a normal 4x5 back, and the plate clip onto the 4x5 end of 5x7 bag bellows. The loupe can be clipped on either the rubber bellows or the plate.
Nowhere it is written sinar, so maybe it is not, but fits.

Captain_joe6
7-Sep-2010, 19:26
There is a Sinar version to fit the post-Norma models, called either the bellows magnifier or binocular magnifier, depending on who you talk to. Essentially, it is a panel that clips to the end of a regular or bag bellows, which then mounts to the groundglass holder of the camera. The panel has a flip-up 2x magnifier in it, and also a baffle that can be closed if you are doing in-camera metering.

I've got one. It exists, and I love it. Not having to be under a dark cloth is really great, and the 2x magnification is plenty.

There's also a hard reflex viewer that I've never dealt with.

If you've got a bag bellows and a regular bellows, I'd say go ahead and get the binocular viewer. I think KEH has a couple.

Hope that helps!
-Patrick

Jim Noel
7-Sep-2010, 19:50
An identical one came with my Norma.

Clive Gray
8-Sep-2010, 15:39
I don't understand why anyone one with a Sinar would use a darkcloth ....definately go buy your self the binocular viewer.

Jerry Bodine
8-Sep-2010, 18:05
Check out the Sinar catalog pdf, and scroll down to pg. 24 to see some options for gg viewing:

http://www.matrix.cz/profifoto/PDFS/Sinar_system_katalog.pdf

hnaa
9-Sep-2010, 04:52
Well I did consider getting a binocular viewer, since they can be had pretty cheap these days. But I had gotten the impression that maybe focus accuracy wasn't that great with a binocular viewer, but maybe I am wrong? (And there is the fact that they are big and butt-ugly, but then my Sinar is never going to be sexy anyway).

Bob McCarthy
9-Sep-2010, 05:51
I have both types, the reflex viewer and also the one that uses a bag bellows for dark elimination.

Both work well and can be used with suplimental reading glasses to gain additional magnification.

price, well cheap is right, though I saw a reflex here for $700 the other day.

You can pick up "like new" ones for 25% of that, used ones for even less.

bob

Ken Lee
9-Sep-2010, 07:00
Using the reflex viewer, we see the image right-side-up.

Is it then backwards with respect to left and right, or is it fully corrected ?

Bob McCarthy
9-Sep-2010, 07:55
A simple mirror setup, so it's rightside up, backwards left-right.

bob