PDA

View Full Version : Where In Dallas?

ric_kb
7-Sep-2010, 05:10
looking for places in Dallas that sell photo supplies. Goog pops up places such as wal mart, gotta luv those geeks for rigor in definition.

moved from SF Bay to Dallas and in need of places like KS, Rayko etc...

richard

BetterSense
7-Sep-2010, 05:35
There is a place on 75 just north of Arapaho called the Film Depot that sells darkroom supplies. There are other labs and camera stores downtown but I'm not familiar with them personally.

Gem Singer
7-Sep-2010, 06:35
Richard,

Not many places that sell photo supplies remaining in the DFW area.

Depends on what type of supplies you need.

Competitive Camera, near downtown, and Arilngton Camera, in Arlington, are the two most popular stores that still stock film, a few chemicals, paper, etc.

Don't expect much in the way of large format equipment, however.

ric_kb
7-Sep-2010, 07:33
thanks guys... that will get me started. Just looking for the misc, stumble across that sometimes happens in the atomic rather than digital world.
---
have only been here a week but long enough to find out that freestyle takes a day longer to Dallas than the Bay, while KEH chops off two days to Dallas and that ain't a bad trade.
---
as to supplies I burn film faster than a hooters waitress delivers sauce... (that means a lot)

Bob Salomon
7-Sep-2010, 08:23
Also Fort Worth Camera Supply

ric_kb
7-Sep-2010, 09:28
okay. google maps has located me and them.

Fort Worth Camera is about an hour away..
the Film Depot is only 15 minutes away.
arlington looks great on the web and is also about 45 mins away...

--- thanks much folks these will give me a great start in the area...
--- richard

Bob Salomon
7-Sep-2010, 09:54
okay. google maps has located me and them.

Fort Worth Camera is about an hour away..
the Film Depot is only 15 minutes away.
arlington looks great on the web and is also about 45 mins away...

--- thanks much folks these will give me a great start in the area...
--- richard

Don't forget Competitive. They will be closer to you then Arlington.

anchored
7-Sep-2010, 14:17
Keep in mind that any camera shop I've found in the the DFW area will have VERY minimal supplies of large format equipment. Film at Competitive and Arlington Camera is nowadays about non-existant (except for 35mm). Neither place sells large format cameras or accessories (Competitive occasionally will have used lenses and cameras sold on consignment). Both places carries minimal chemistry.

Sorry, but as a general rule you'll need to buy cameras, lenses, accessories, films, papers, etc. over the internet.

Glenn
Southlake, TX

Bob McCarthy
7-Sep-2010, 14:24
Glenn, have you been at the Film Depot? I have never heard of it.

bob

BetterSense
7-Sep-2010, 14:42
Film depot recently moved a few stores down. I haven't been to the new location, but in the old iteration, it was pretty decent. I bought some Novatron strobes there for $50, bought a Polaroid back for FP100C45. They usually have some old 35mm cameras that actually seem to move through the place. Prices on film and paper are high compared to the internet prices but it's nice to have somewhere to buy rapid fixer. Don't be afraid to haggle on used equipment.

Is there anywhere in Dallas where I could go handle a Leica and/or a Voightlander Bessa R series camera? I've been looking at buying a 35mm rangefinder but it's so hard to compare cameras over the internet without the ability to hold them.

Gem Singer
7-Sep-2010, 14:53
Have you tried Cooter's Village Camera in Highland Park?

They handle Leica digital cameras. Perhaps a few Leica film cameras as well.

I think you're out of luck trying to find a Bessa R at a camera store in the DFW metroplex.

venchka
7-Sep-2010, 15:57
There is a used camera store in DFW. A friend of mine picked up 8x10 holders there. Bob's maybe?
You can handle (fondle) my M5 sometime. You'll have to drive a few miles east. I'm north of Tyler some weekends. I could drive a little ways west.

Gem Singer
7-Sep-2010, 16:41
It's called Don's. Don Puckett and his son operate the the place. They handle old used stuff at unreal prices.

Located on Irving Blvd and Motor St.(in the so called, photo district).

Competitive camera is located a few blocks East of there.

Purchase from either one at your own risk. You've been warned.

Darryl Baird
7-Sep-2010, 17:27
Don did repair for decades in Dallas, between 1970-1990. I thought he was a pretty square shooter.

Yes, it was the photo district back in the day of The Color Place, Light Tec, The Photographer's Inc., and all the smaller shooters, labs, etc.

gone, gone, gone

Gem Singer
7-Sep-2010, 18:35
Don sponsors "camera shows" at the Grapevine Convention Center in the spring and fall.

There is one coming up the first weekend in October.

Sellers rent tables and display their camera gear. Prices are on the high side. Not much large format equipment. However, once in a while one can find a diamond in that pile of junk.

Sometimes KEH, from Atlanta, and Igor, from Cleveland, attend the show to purchase used equipment. They buy low and sell high.

venchka
8-Sep-2010, 07:42
A gentleman by the name of Colyn posts at the Rangefinder Forum. I think he owns a Leica body or two. Lives in Fort Worth. There must be other Leica owners in the DFW area.

William McEwen
8-Sep-2010, 13:39
No more film at Competitive Cameras in Dallas. Stopped selling it long ago.

venchka
8-Sep-2010, 13:40
Freestyle. This Forum. Rangefinder Forum. Film is everywhere.

ps: If you ever get to Houston, Houston Camera Co-op has film (135-120-4x5 for sure), chemistry & paper. They are on Durham about 5 minutes south if I-10.

bigdog
9-Sep-2010, 21:16
No more film at Competitive Cameras in Dallas. Stopped selling it long ago.
All film or just sheet film?

William McEwen
10-Sep-2010, 13:12
All film or just sheet film?

No film at all.

I have a friend in Dallas who shoots MF and I always made a point of stopping by Competitive Cameras to buy him a couple of rolls on my way to visit.

I went to the counter and asked for film and was shocked when they told me they no longer sell film.

But I'm an old film guy -- I'm sure they thought I was a useless dinosaur.

ric_kb
10-Sep-2010, 13:29
[from OP.. updates]

thanks mucho to all. in coming back here I see more posts than I'd expected. In the interim days I located a MAP from some people calling themselves third floor... I take it they are students in the DFW (east texas?) area. the link to their map of locations they find of use is:

http://tinyurl.com/2dexho8

browsing through those I found an opening for Sat (tomorrow) featuring hot dogs. I luv students.

Again, thanks all for making this first week a quickstart, perhaps even a quickload. Now it sits on the net for someone else as a readyload --- dust free, as in cold beer.

BetterSense
10-Sep-2010, 13:33
Wow. Even walmart sells 35mm film still. And CVS's in Dallas even carry Tri-X.

bbtheking
29-Sep-2010, 11:15
I just went by Don's my first time last weekend. I couldn't believe what I saw. Very nice people. Don and his son are great. Tons of gear there too. It's like an antique shop, but tons of finds there. I'm about to buy my first LF camera, and went there first. They have one I'm eyeballing and feel good about. Plus, the photo show is this weekend. Hopefully there will be some good deals over there. So I'm waiting before I pull the trigger on buying one right now. 3 more days! It's itching the hell outta me! LOL..