PDA

View Full Version : Changing Standards on a Cambo 4x5 to make it an 8x10 Can it be done?

ComicDom1
6-Sep-2010, 19:27
I own a Zone VI camera and I am pretty comfortable with that so far.

Prior to buying the Zone VI, I purchased a Cambo SC2 which I still have. I had an adapter board made for the Cambo SC2 so I can just pop in the lens boards from my Zone VI and share the lenses. Now I am starting to also get interested in exploring 8x10.

Instead of buying another Camera, I am wondering if its possible to just change the Rear Standard of the SC2 and bellows of the Cambo SC2, use the same front standard, and make an 8x10 out of the SC2?

Jason

David Karp
6-Sep-2010, 22:05
You can do this. The front standard on those old style Cambos is the same for 4x5 and 8x10. You just detach the bellows from the front standard, and roll the back standard off the back of the rail. Reverse the process with the other back.

I don't know how likely it is that you will find a rear standard, back, and bellows separate from a camera for a reasonable price. I have not been following camera prices lately, but I'll bet you can get a complete 8x10 SC for less than the parts. Plus, I think you get a longer rail with the 8x10, so you will be able to use longer lenses if you so desire.

aduncanson
7-Sep-2010, 06:21
It seems likely that the 8x10 Cambos have more rise available on the front standard than on the 4x5 version. I would be a little concerned that you would need all of the rise capability of the 4x5 front standard (and maybe all of the fall capability of the rear) just to get the lens board to the neutral position relative to the rear.

I do not have the 8x10, but I measured my 4x5 and 5x7 Cambos and the 5x7 has just a little more height (~0.75 in) available on front standard.

Andrew O'Neill
7-Sep-2010, 08:01
I'll bet it's doable. They look interchangeable.

It seems likely that the 8x10 Cambos have more rise available on the front standard than on the 4x5 version. I would be a little concerned that you would need all of the rise capability of the 4x5 front standard (and maybe all of the fall capability of the rear) just to get the lens board to the neutral position relative to the rear.

To deal with that, one would just have to slightly tilt the camera up, then bring the standards forward.

Steven Tribe
7-Sep-2010, 12:48
I had the same thought about six months ago. Unfortunately, the availability of 8x10 backs is low and the price is high - based on my searching through a few months. Remember there are different rail/mounting systems for the various Cambo models!

cowanw
7-Sep-2010, 16:51

I do not have the 8x10, but I measured my 4x5 and 5x7 Cambos and the 5x7 has just a little more height (~0.75 in) available on front standard.

I checked all my Cambos ( 2 8x10's and more 4x5's than I need: I can't resist a 150 Dollar camera) and the only Model that actually is a different height in the posts is the original grey/green model (4x5) about 2cm shorter. All of the black models, on all three types of rails, are the same. But I don't have a purpose built 5x7.
The loss of rise in the front is the same on both the 8x10 SCX and the SC models, about 3 cm. I don't have an 8x10 in the Legend Series but eyeballing the Cambo download I would say it looks the same.

To summarize the oldest steel and grey model may be a problem in this regard.

I agree though that you will likely be able to acquire a Cambo 8x10 complete for less than putting together parts. Recent ebay price
SCX Back standard $51
Bail Back with glass $133
Bellows $128
Total $212
Or
Complete LEGEND 8x10 $370
In addition I find that my shortest lenses will not work on the 8x10 and my longest lenses will not work on the 4x5.
Regards
Bill

Lynn Jones
8-Sep-2010, 08:39
Hi Jason,

I know that you always could do this in the past, however I don't think you'll like it! When you go from an 8x10 back to the 4x5 front, the front small bellows nerly always interferes with the light, vignetting parts of the image, especially whith and significant swings and tilts are involved. I tried to do this with two different systems cameras including the Cambo, very bad scene. In fact, the Deardorff cameras which i really liked (Merle, John, and Jack Deardorff were all long time friends of mine, even though we were competitors), due to the bellows shape, in many cases, when using the 8x10 Deardorff for advertising photography with lots of swings and tilts, the bellows would interfere with the light path.

Lynn

ComicDom1
14-Sep-2010, 18:59
Thanks everyone for your answers. My goal of course was to find a way to experience shooting and working with an 8x10 as reasonable as possible. After a lot of reading, exploring and advice I decided just to get an inexpensive existing 8x10.

The outcome could be a win/lose situation for me as I picked up a very old vintage wooden camera which I have not received yet. Of course I am hoping it works out for the best but that will depend on what condition the camera is really in when it gets here. The plus side for me is that if the condition is good and I do not have to do a lot of restoration work on the camera I have ended up with a nice functional collectors item. Of course the weight of wooden camera will be much less than the Cambo so the portablity will be a nice plus. I know I will be giving up some movement but my goal is to see if I like the 8x10 and see if I want to invest more time and money going in that direction.

Jason