PDA

View Full Version : INDIA - where to buy 4x5 film in Delhi and Mumbai

mortensen
5-Sep-2010, 13:46
Well, as the title says: I'm looking for places to stock up on color negative 4x5 film in Delhi and Mumbai

I'll bring around 350 negs myself, but if I need more - where do I go?

thanks a lot. oh, and super recommendations on where to find the most compact cityscapes, heaviest industrial areas, largest bridges etc etc is most warmly welcomed :)

I'll be in India for two months with a big itinerary...

B.S.Kumar
5-Sep-2010, 17:02
I'm not sure if you can find 4x5 film easily in India now. Everything seems to be digital! I had a hard time getting 120 color negative film about a year ago.
In Delhi, try Mahatta and Co. http://www.mahattaimaging.com/ Mahatta will also process your film.
In Mumbai, Photokina near Girgaum/Chowpatty Beach. Kakubhai at Photokina is a great guy. He'll ply you with chai, and help you out with most anything related to photography. Deepesh Bajaria of Nikhil Enterprise in the Fort area has great service, and will deliver film to your hotel, usually on the same day. Pheroze, the owner of Mazda Imaging in Byculla, runs a Kodak Q-Lab, and though they've cut down on film processing, do a great job.

There are quite a few security-related issues with photographing bridges and similar structures in India, so be prepared to be questioned and hustled off. Look up the new Bandra-Worli Sea Link bridge in Mumbai. Likewise, be prepared to be questioned in industrial areas. Thane-Belapur is the industrial hub of Mumbai. Within the city, except for some government buildings, there aren't too many problems, except having curious onlookers gathering around you. You should have someone help you with crowd control :)
PM me if you need more information.

Kumar

mortensen
6-Sep-2010, 15:27
thanks a lot, Kumar! I really appreciate your info.
would you consider the quality of the labs you mention to be on par with labs in Japan, EU og the US?

I'll probably send a PM soon with further questions, thanks :) I can imagine the thing about crowd control to be very crucial, haha.

B.S.Kumar
6-Sep-2010, 15:48
I don't know about Mahatta, never having used them. Mazda is a Kodak Q-Lab, and I used them for many years when I was in India. I had no significant problems.

I'd be happy to help.

Kumar

AgentX
6-Sep-2010, 18:39
To hijack for a second, as someone heading to India for a few years, I've seen a bit of old photo equipment coming from India on ebay--field cameras, hand-and-stands, Rolleiflexes, etc. Is it easy to find such antiquated stuff over there?

B.S.Kumar
6-Sep-2010, 18:56
Most of it is from people who discard their parents' belongings after they pass on, or after they move from smaller towns and villages to the cities. There is a dealer network, but most equipment goes straight to other dealers within or outside India, or is sold through eBay.

Where will you be living?

Kumar

AgentX
6-Sep-2010, 19:35
Hyderabad

B.S.Kumar
6-Sep-2010, 20:13
I'm afraid I don't know much about Hyderabad, though I have family there. The older parts of Hyderabad and Secunderabad are the most likely places where you'll find the established camera shops. Summers are brutal, but the biryani is great!

Kumar

mortensen
30-Nov-2010, 11:41
Hi... resurrecting this thread, cause I just got my camera body stolen on the train to Hyderabad.

So I DESPERATELY need a new 4x5 camera body in order to continue my work here in India for the remaining two and a half weeks of my trip.

Any advice on where to go in Mumbai or Hyderabad greatly appreciated, thanks. Lease or rent preferred, unless I could get a good deal on something Linhof.

/lars

mortensen
30-Nov-2010, 11:43
btw.... I have tried PMing you, B.S. Kumar, but somehow it doesnt go through. If you have any knowledge of suppliers, second hand camera shops, friends in mumbai willing to rent their 4x5 body, whatever... please let me know, thanks :)

B.S.Kumar
30-Nov-2010, 15:34
Mortensen,

Iam extremely sorry this has happened. Please send me an email through the forum with your telephone number and address, and I'll try to get a 4x5 camera organized for you.

Best,
Kumar

mortensen
1-Dec-2010, 06:46
... mail is running and THANKS, Kumar!

ataim
3-Dec-2010, 08:57
I just looked at FEDex and they can deliver from Fort Worth (next to Dallas), TX USA to Hyderabad for a Tuesday delivery for around 315 usd. I have a Cambo that I can sell to you for pretty cheep and couple of prints :p I know that is a lot of cash for delivery, but at least you'll be shooting again. Maybe someone closer can FEDex you one?

Steven Tribe
3-Dec-2010, 09:58
I think Mortensen has been fixed up with a B.S.Kumar contact in Mumbai - a Linhof Colour monorail. But this was a couple of days ago. He really needs the teknika-type front because of the lens boards he has with him.

mortensen
4-Dec-2010, 02:17
Thanks Ataim and yes, Steven is right (also thanks for looking after me here, Steven :) ) I will hopefully have a look at the Linhof tonight. I just arrived in Mumbai. First up is Chor Bazaar, and ND rd. looking in second hand shops.... wish me luck!

btw. I did contact mr. Zhang of Shen Hao, too. He could fix 2 day UPS delivery of an XPO (with converter board), but my main concern is customs - you never know what those bureaucracy horny people can come up with

AgentX
4-Dec-2010, 02:28
Wish I'd have been able to help while you were in Hyderabad, but my stuff including my 4x5 is still on a slow boat over here! Could've lent you my Rolleiflex, though...

Steven Tribe
4-Dec-2010, 02:29
Nice to hear your update!
I know that long train journeys in India take days!
Your thoughts about customs are astute based on my experiences with officialdom in India - perhaps the British heritage?
My many weeks in India have always felt secure as regards person and belongings - but Bus/Train stations will always attract a few willing to take a chance.

ataim
5-Dec-2010, 08:19
Glad that you are fixed up.

chachi
23-Dec-2010, 00:12
when i was in delhi in march, i found a place on chadni chowk that had portra 160 in 4x5. sorry to say i don't know the name but i got there by asking around for photo chemicals. it's on the south side of the street towards the red fort end, not as far west as the sikh temple. they had a couple of used camera bodies, nothing large though.

mortensen
23-Dec-2010, 01:56
Hi Chachi - I was in that shop too, when I was in Delhi.

But just to end the story: In Mumbai, I bought the Linhof Color I was offered by Kumar's friend. It was in very good condition and it satisfies most of my needs (still not a perfect cam for architecture with lots of rise on wides). It is, though, a pleasure to work with and when I found a cheap bag that I could cut to fit, it also became pretty easy to transport. So I was, thankfully, able to finish my project. And now I am back home in snowy Denmark for christmas :)

chachi
2-Jan-2011, 11:27
i'd love to see your india photos if you ever put them up anywhere.