PDA

View Full Version : Sending Prints outside the US

Ed Richards
5-Sep-2010, 08:05
I am working through the issues in selling prints online. I have not mailed much outside the US - what is the drill for foreign shipping, and does anyone have experience using the PayPal shipping services for foreign shipping?

Jon Shiu
5-Sep-2010, 08:14
Paypal shipping is easy for international shipping. You fill out the customs forms online, print them out and slip them into a self-adhesive pouch and attach to your parcel. No need to stand in line at the post office. I believe they can pick up your parcel, or just drop it off. Pick up a bunch of the pouches and priority mail boxes. I have shipped the prints between masonite and mat board and then wrapped and taped. Not sure if First Class Parcel (cheaper) is still offered as an online option.

Jon

Jim Michael
5-Sep-2010, 08:32
I ship books and charts overseas and have been using registered mail. It adds about $7 to first class shipping cost but items are more secure, and you can get delivery confirmation and insurance to all countries. I've never had a lost shipment or claim of non-delivery, although on two occasions I've had items returned. In my case I need to be able to verify delivery to any country.

There are two customs forms and I've been able to use the short form for all shipments. Check with the post office to see which one you would need to use.

Anything you ship that is an unusual size or large can be expensive to ship, so before you start quoting shipping costs be sure you know the weight and dimensions of the item you're shipping.

Careful with selection of shipping packaging. The post office doesn't like certain types of envelopes such as the ones with the integrated bubble wrap and the vinyl ones are problematic for use of paper security tape used with registered mail if you choose to go that route.

If you decide to use a commercial service such as DHL be sure to find out what ancillary costs might be charged to you or your customer, such as customs charges.