PDA

View Full Version : Heliar 210mm needs shutter?

LFFB
4-Sep-2010, 16:28
Hi all. I have a old Heliar 210mm F4.5 on #4 ACME Synchro shutter as photo shown, but it is too big for my Linhof Tech III. I need a suggestion that which smaller shutter to fit the lens and my Linhof. Is the Copal #3 will be worked? Please help me out of this problem. Thanks.

Tracy Storer
4-Sep-2010, 16:43
SKGrimes may be able to fit it to a Copal #3, The max opening of which seems very close to max aperture of your Heliar. It will be expensive, and the Copal aperture shape is not as nicely round as on your Old shutter. I suggest buying a camera that takes bigger lensboards instead.

Ernest Purdum
4-Sep-2010, 16:45
Unfortunately, cells fitted to a #4 Acme won't fit into any other shutter.

Chauncey Walden
4-Sep-2010, 17:54
Would it work with an extension board to get the shutter out past the front frame?

ic-racer
4-Sep-2010, 19:09
210mm lenses in Copal 1 are pretty cheap.

John Berry
5-Sep-2010, 09:00
210mm lenses in Copal 1 are pretty cheap.

Not ones with heliar in the description.

Mark Sampson
5-Sep-2010, 10:15
Hmmm. I once had a lens in a #4 mounted to a current Technika-styled board, is the Tech III board that much smaller? That operation was not a success only because the lens/shutter combo weighed more than the camera and overpowered the front standard. But it did fit.

Harley Goldman
7-Sep-2010, 15:36
I have a Verito in a Betax #4 mounted on a Technika board. I had to trim the retaining ring to make the ring fit in the camera, but it works fine. I put in on a Chamonix. Not sure if the ACME #4 is bigger?

Arne Croell
7-Sep-2010, 16:11
The standard shutter for a 210mm f/4.5 Heliar was a no. III Compound, which is a tad smaller than a no. 3 Copal. Are you sure that the cells are a direct fit for the Acme 4, or were any adapter rings used? If so, another set of adapters might work for a Copal 3.
Also, the largest shutter I was able to fit on a Technika board was a no. IV compound with a 240mm Heliar, so I wonder why the Acme doesn't fit.

Jim Galli
7-Sep-2010, 19:29
........so I wonder why the Acme doesn't fit.

Me too. That's a grand lens in a nice shutter. Surprised that you're having a space issue. No matter what 'other' shutter you find, you'll have to do hundreds of $$$ worth of machine work to make adapter bushings. Even the Compound 3 had bushings.....or did it? Not at home so I can't check.

LFFB
18-Sep-2010, 15:06
The standard shutter for a 210mm f/4.5 Heliar was a no. III Compound, which is a tad smaller than a no. 3 Copal. Are you sure that the cells are a direct fit for the Acme 4, or were any adapter rings used? If so, another set of adapters might work for a Copal 3.
Also, the largest shutter I was able to fit on a Technika board was a no. IV compound with a 240mm Heliar, so I wonder why the Acme doesn't fit.

Thanks for all experts. I attached few photos that shown how big is the #4 ACME shutter and why not fits on my Tech III