PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in starting a SE Michigan LF Group 2010?

threefoot
4-Sep-2010, 08:32
Hi,

I am relatively new to LF and live and work in SE Michigan. I am looking to see if there is any interest from anyone in the area interested in either starting a group/club or just to get together from time-to-time to photograph people, places, things of interest around SE Michigan.

I searched the forums but found nothing recent or relevant.

Regards,
Charlie

Jfnphotography
8-Sep-2010, 08:50
I'm in Redford MI. keep me posted if you get a group together. I have not heard of any groups for just large Format in the area.
Jacob

MIke Sherck
8-Sep-2010, 13:39
Give the Midwest Large Format Asylum a try: http://www.midwestlargeformat.com/

We have folks from all over, including northern Ohio (Cleveland-ish). I'm in Elkhart, IN and have always wondered what there was to photograph up your way. :)

Mike

vinny
8-Sep-2010, 15:39
I'll be in Detroit for a while, actually grosse pointe today but I wouldn't mind meeting up on a weekend for some shooting.

jon.oman
8-Sep-2010, 18:04
I lived on West Ida Lane in GPW for 27 years. Now I'm in South Carolina.
Would have been nice to have a LF group then! Good luck.

Jon

David E. Rose
8-Sep-2010, 18:48
I am in Farmington. We should set a date and place and give it a try! I sometimes shoot in the city, but I could use some backup! Eastern Market is a good location, Belle Isle as well. Cranbrook is another option, but requires prior authorization. Any takers?

threefoot
8-Sep-2010, 19:40
Glad to see there is a little interest. Thanks to all those who responded. A few may be interested in shooting sometime by the posts. (Jacob, Vinny & David) Just to put it out there, my schedule is on most occasions full during the week. But with just a little notice usually I could make Saturday or Sunday available to meet somewhere. Not opposed to traveling a bit either. Detroit, Port Huron, someone mentioned Cranbrook (with permission) etc. Just to name a few, I am game and don't mind rising early to meet somewhere if necessary. Or later...

I could be available this Saturday or Sunday.
Probably not the following WE
But the WE of the 23rd would be ok.

I would think Cranbrook would be nice if we could get the proper permission (not sure where/how) Or Detroit (yes with backup).

Detroit offers lots. I would love to shoot the old train station but don't know how to get the proper permission.

So let me know if anyone wants to try something soon.

Thanks,
Charlie

threefoot
9-Sep-2010, 03:27
Give the Midwest Large Format Asylum a try: http://www.midwestlargeformat.com/

We have folks from all over, including northern Ohio (Cleveland-ish). I'm in Elkhart, IN and have always wondered what there was to photograph up your way. :)

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I did check out the LF group and signed up. I will keep an eye out for anything in the area etc.

Thanks,
Charlie

threefoot
9-Sep-2010, 03:32
I lived on West Ida Lane in GPW for 27 years. Now I'm in South Carolina.
Would have been nice to have a LF group then! Good luck.

Jon

Jon,

Well of course it would figure. You were only about 5 blocks from me on Severn, and just around the corner from Monteith where my son just started Tuesday!

It would be great to find some interest around the area.

Charlie

vinny
9-Sep-2010, 07:11
I was working in the train station (and did some shooting) last month for the job I'm on. Pieces of concrete randomly fall off the ceiling. Transformers 3 is/was supposed to film there as well. Great place but not safe, and not easy to get into since they board it up when not in use.

threefoot
9-Sep-2010, 09:22
I was working in the train station (and did some shooting) last month for the job I'm on. Pieces of concrete randomly fall off the ceiling. Transformers 3 is/was supposed to film there as well. Great place but not safe, and not easy to get into since they board it up when not in use.

Vinny,

You didn't just happen to pick up some slides at Titan today did you? I ask because I was in there to pick up some slides and they said I just missed someone who just shot a bunch at the station...

So any tips on how to get proper access there? :D

As an aside, this Sunday's weather is looking pretty good if anyone wants to get together to shoot somewhere.

Charlie

vinny
9-Sep-2010, 09:30
Vinny,

You didn't just happen to pick up some slides at Titan today did you? I ask because I was in there to pick up some slides and they said I just missed someone who just shot a bunch at the station...

So any tips on how to get proper access there? :D

As an aside, this Sunday's weather is looking pretty good if anyone wants to get together to shoot somewhere.

Charlie

I was at Titan last week, and I did have some stuff from there. Small world?
I'll talk to our locations people to see if I can get a contact #. We had to sign a waiver before we entered the place, very strange.

Jeff Bannow
9-Sep-2010, 10:20
Good luck getting proper access to the train station - the owner isn't interested. However, getting in is pretty easy to do.

Same with access to Cranbrook - when I tried I was told I was welcome to pay the $500 day use fee. Luckily I was able to shoot there for the Art Deco Society last year.

vinny
9-Sep-2010, 19:20
So I heard today that transformers shot their earlier this week and had the ceiling of the entire place netted for safety.

Jeff Bannow
10-Sep-2010, 05:26
Interesting ... I assume they will leave that up when they go. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Jfnphotography
10-Sep-2010, 06:00
Belle Isle would be a good place. The morning is the best time. I have photographed in the Horticulture Building. We could also try to get into the aquarium I might have a contact for that building. The inside is all Pewabic Tile. There are a lot of good nature parks if people like to photograph nature. I teach a class in Woodland Hills in Farmington Hills the park has a lot of interesting trees and plant.

David E. Rose
10-Sep-2010, 11:22
I can do Belle Isle this Sunday morning and I would love to meet you guys. As for shooting Cranbrook, I have shot architectural projects there commercially, and even with letters from people in authority and notice that I was comming, I had guards approaching me every few hours asking what I was doing. I was told by one of them that the tripod was what typically alerted security. He said they typically don't bother hand camera users, but they assume that tripod users are probably professionals and get interested in the purpose of the photos. A good friend of mine is the campus architect there- I will see what it would take to get permission. They certainly gave Korab free access for many years, but he had a special relationship with them:

http://www.balthazarkorab.com/

Jeff Bannow
10-Sep-2010, 11:24
Cranbrook is a beautiful place to shoot - lots of great architecture.

threefoot
10-Sep-2010, 11:44
Belle Isle would be a good place. The morning is the best time. I have photographed in the Horticulture Building. We could also try to get into the aquarium I might have a contact for that building. The inside is all Pewabic Tile. There are a lot of good nature parks if people like to photograph nature. I teach a class in Woodland Hills in Farmington Hills the park has a lot of interesting trees and plant.

Belle Isle sounds like it would be nice ... horticulture building or aquarium sound interesting. I would like to try that.
I may give that a try if anyone else is interested. Or if not i will probably hit Port Huron this weekend as it offers Rivers, lake, bridges, lighthouse, beaches, freighters.

threefoot
10-Sep-2010, 13:54
I can do Belle Isle this Sunday morning and I would love to meet you guys. As for shooting Cranbrook, I have shot architectural projects there commercially, and even with letters from people in authority and notice that I was comming, I had guards approaching me every few hours asking what I was doing. I was told by one of them that the tripod was what typically alerted security. He said they typically don't bother hand camera users, but they assume that tripod users are probably professionals and get interested in the purpose of the photos. A good friend of mine is the campus architect there- I will see what it would take to get permission. They certainly gave Korab free access for many years, but he had a special relationship with them:

http://www.balthazarkorab.com/

David,
I can do Belle Isle this Sunday morning also. Anyone else? If you want to PM me time and place,as I am not sure where on the island anything is. If you want to PM me I can also give my cell number to coordinate meeting time and place.

Regards,
Charlie
PS if you could ever put together a Cranbrook opportunity that would be awesome.

David E. Rose
10-Sep-2010, 13:55
I like the Port Huron idea. We could do that or Belle Isle. If we do Belle Isle, how about 8am Sunday at the Olmsted fountain? If you prefer Port Huron, I would be open to a suggestion as to time and place.

threefoot
10-Sep-2010, 16:39
I like the Port Huron idea. We could do that or Belle Isle. If we do Belle Isle, how about 8am Sunday at the Olmsted fountain? If you prefer Port Huron, I would be open to a suggestion as to time and place.

David,

If you are ok with the Port Huron location I would prefer that slightly to Belle Isle this time around. I could meet there at 0800, say at the Thomas Edison parkway by the Thomas Edison Inn at the river at the foot of the Blue Water Bridge. I think there is an old railroad car or old station there near the river. That would probably make a good place to meet and there are parking lots right at the river.

If that is good, I'll be there Sunday at 0800 am. I am not sure where you would be traveling from so if there is a time that would work better just let me know.

Anyone else interested?

Regards,
Charlie

jon.oman
10-Sep-2010, 18:22
I would be, but I'm about 1200 miles away! :eek:

Jon

David E. Rose
10-Sep-2010, 18:26
Charlie,
That sounds fine. I am coming from Farmington, so the 8am time may be pushing it. I will get there as early as I can. Anyone else is certainly welcome! Charlie- I will PM my cell number to you.

Jfnphotography
11-Sep-2010, 19:01
I will check on the Belle Isle aquarium if we can get in and what kind of shape its in inside.
Jacob

threefoot
12-Sep-2010, 17:16
I will check on the Belle Isle aquarium if we can get in and what kind of shape its in inside.
Jacob

Jacob,

That would be great, please keep us informed.

Charlie

Jfnphotography
20-Sep-2010, 11:49
Belle Isle aquarium should have a call back from someone this week. Who would like to go? Need to give a number of people if asked. The aquarium was just cleaned and the tiles were polished. Offered a few photographs so they could use for there web page.

Jacob

threefoot
20-Sep-2010, 13:02
Belle Isle aquarium should have a call back from someone this week. Who would like to go? Need to give a number of people if asked. The aquarium was just cleaned and the tiles were polished. Offered a few photographs so they could use for there web page.

Jacob

Jacob,
Thanks for your efforts in trying to put this together. You can count me in. I assume we would be talking about a Saturday or Sunday? Please keep me informed if you are able to lock something up date/time.

Thanks again,
Charlie

David E. Rose
23-Sep-2010, 06:29
Count me in as well, depending on the day and time!

Jfnphotography
5-Oct-2010, 13:24
Still working on Belle Isle aquarium.

Anyone interested in a studio shoot in the next few weeks. Have a location in Farmington Hills I can use. Want to try some different lighting technique and a couple homemade 4x5 lenes.

David E. Rose
5-Oct-2010, 18:24

Anyone interested in a studio shoot in the next few weeks. Have a location in Farmington Hills I can use. Want to try some different lighting technique and a couple homemade 4x5 lenes.

I would be interested in joining you.

threefoot
6-Oct-2010, 02:59

I would be interested as well.

Jfnphotography
9-Nov-2010, 06:55
Monte Nagler has a exhibit Nov 8 - Nov 21 at Barnes & Noble in West Bloomfield. He has a lot of great LF photograph from around the world. His web page is
www.monetnagler.com

threefoot
1-Dec-2010, 19:48
I just purchased Andrew Moore's book "Detroit Disassembled" ... I am motivated to capture my own images of Detroit. Anyone interested in making a trek down and around Detroit City sometime soon? Safety in numbers ...

mat4226
5-Dec-2010, 19:07
I'm in for a romp around Detroit, that is, of course, if you don't mind a noobie running around with his 8x10.

threefoot
6-Dec-2010, 04:21
I'm in for a romp around Detroit, that is, of course, if you don't mind a noobie running around with his 8x10.

Mat,

No problem here. I will PM you

Charlie Wheelihan