PDA

View Full Version : Searching for 4x5 color enlarger (Durst L1200)

gdavis
3-Sep-2010, 13:39
Been looking for one and it's not quite as easy to find around here as I thought. Being in So Cal I thought there would be plenty in the area. I've been watching CL and not really finding anything. There's a few on Ebay but not in the area and I don't want to spend 100+ on freight.

I did find a Durst L1200 locally. It's a little more than I was hoping to spend but from what I've found online it sounds like a nice enlarger so I may go with that.

Looking at it before I knew anything about it, it has a CLS 450 head, power supply, timer, 4x5 diffusion box, 135mm lens (have to check the brand), neg carrier with 4x5 plates and adjustable masks.

I'm going to take another look at it tomorrow (Saturday), I've read I should check the spring plate on the back to make sure it's in good shape. Other than that, anything else I should look for? Any other thoughts on searching for an enlarger?

gdavis
6-Sep-2010, 13:06
Well, I checked it out again and it looked good except that he couldn't find the 4x5 masks.

I'm thinking maybe I should wait until I can find an Omega. Much easier to find parts.

Blair Ware
19-Sep-2010, 09:09
In my experience, it is best to use the glass carrier with this enlarger (I have both the 4x5 metal mask and glass inserts).

gdavis
20-Sep-2010, 12:40
Thanks for the reply. A few days after I posted my patience finally paid off. A local pro lab put up an ad and had an L1000. Chassis isn't as nice as the L1200 but seems to do the job. 3 lenses and boards, glassless carriers for everything from 35mm up to 4x5 and even a glass carrier (yippee!) all for $150. Figured I can't really go wrong for that price.