PDA

View Full Version : First 4x5 Camera..

merelyok
3-Sep-2010, 09:48
Hi all,

Firstly, wonderful forum with some really inspiring photographers! I'm in awe at some of the work that has been posted/shared on the forum.

I've been shooting film for a year or so now ( mostly Medium format stuff..Hasselblad, Mamiya, Rolleiflex etc etc) and i think i'm ready to step up to 4x5. I was looking at a Chamonix but the wallet does not allow for it, considering i have to factor in the cost of a V700 scanner.

And so i chanced upon a used Toyo 45CF (almost mint condition, i'm told), with Polaroid back and Copal #1 lensboard (40 mount, me thinks) for $450. The Toyo appeals to me since i'm using a light-medium sized tripod and anything heavier would require more funds to purchase a larger tripod.

I was thinking i could get a 180mm lens from KEH.com for cheap ( i was looking at either a 180mm Nikkor 5.6 or perhaps a 180mm Symmar). Must i get a Toyo-specific lensboard for other shorter lenses (i.e. 150mm or 90mm). I've seen recessed toyo boards on KEH but are there boards that are model specific?

Once i get the lens and perhaps a back for roll film i should be ready!

Looking forward to sharing my pictures here (:

Gem Singer
3-Sep-2010, 10:48
The Toyo 45CF camera takes 110x110 Toyo lens boards.

KEH refers to them as either Toyo Field, or Toyo 45A lens boards.

A Toyo 45A board with a 35mm opening is for lenses mounted in a Copal 0 shutters.

A 42mm opening is for a Copal 1 shutter, and a 65mm opening is for a Copal 3 shutter.

A 90mm lens can be used on the 45CF with a flat lens board. A Toyo 45A recessed lens board is expensive, and the controls are difficult to reach when a shutter is mounted on a recessed board.

Toyon
3-Sep-2010, 11:03
Gem is right. You can probably get away without a recessed board. Though I do like using one with my 90/8. Don't rule out a Schneider Apo-Symmar, though the Nikon will probably be very good. Also, check out later date Caltars - they are good deals, and made by the major manufacturers.

A couple of great accessories for the Toyo are the 4" extension back that enables longer lenses and close macro work, and the folding rubber monocular hood - a wonderful visual aide. Also, their ground glass magnifier is very nice, as is their darkcloth. Also, find a depth-of-field scale, and get a working sense of the Scheimpflug principle.

As far as tripods. Here's what I suggest. For maximum stability: Never use the center column, and make sure you have a good, solid, metal 3 way head. Maintain secure footing and keep some basic tools handy in case something loosens in the field. Oh yeah, make sure the camera has a level on at all times, and buy lots of toyo cut film holders and fill them with Ilford FP4+.

al olson
3-Sep-2010, 17:07
Don't pay for the Polaroid back. They are not very useful since you can't get film for them. You can get Fuji instant film, but it requires the film pack backs.

merelyok
3-Sep-2010, 18:14
Don't pay for the Polaroid back. They are not very useful since you can't get film for them. You can get Fuji instant film, but it requires the film pack backs.

The Fuji instant film requires a different back altogether? I was told the back that i'll be gettting will take quickload film as well, is that a different back as that of a Polaroid back?

EDIT: Well..i found out that it doesn't..i'll just get the Fuji PA-45 then..

al olson
4-Sep-2010, 05:27
The Fuji instant film requires a different back altogether? I was told the back that i'll be gettting will take quickload film as well, is that a different back as that of a Polaroid back?

EDIT: Well..i found out that it doesn't..i'll just get the Fuji PA-45 then..

Quickloads and Readyloads worked all right with my 545i Polaroid back (I understand that others have had problems). It is unfortunate that, like the Polaroid films, they are no longer available unless you happen upon some old stock.