PDA

View Full Version : What hood for an Optar 90/6.8?

Scott --
2-Sep-2010, 13:09
Tested out the hyperfocal P&S today. Works great, but the Optar 90/6.8 is flarey. Anyone know what hood (press-on) this thing takes?

Thanks,
Scott

BrianShaw
2-Sep-2010, 13:15
I don't recall at the moment, but I can loan you a ruler if you need me to.

Scott --
2-Sep-2010, 13:19
Thanks, Brian. Appreciate the smart-assitude. Was looking for a Series answer; suppose that's too much to ask, too?

Scott --
2-Sep-2010, 13:21
31mm diameter, chief. Google doesn't bring anything up, but I'm sure my goggle-fu isn't up to par fer ya, either.

BrianShaw
2-Sep-2010, 13:23
VI or VII. You might be able to do eitehr. It depends on what the outer diameter of the lens measures. The adapters sometimes were available in two different series size for the same slip on diameter.

If you want to know the best source for series adapters, just ask... I know the best place to go for the best selection and best price.

Scott --
2-Sep-2010, 13:26
Not V. Too small. Thanks, though.

Scott --
2-Sep-2010, 13:32
While google lists Series VI adapters as 36.5mm, a friend who has one measures it as 32mm. So that's what I'm going for. :p

BrianShaw
2-Sep-2010, 13:32
Series VI, Scott. Adapter in 31mm not known to have been made for series VII.

BrianShaw
2-Sep-2010, 13:45
That might work. Conventional wisdom was that the adapters could be tweeked .5 mm, but I've tweeked them even more than that without breaking the tabs.

sun of sand
2-Sep-2010, 13:47
you could make a rigid bellows shade that attaches to the series ring that might work better than a round one on a wide angle
maybe it dont matter all that much

ive tweaked by gluing felt

Scott --
2-Sep-2010, 14:04
Thanks, Brian. I'll give it a go. The real bummer is that I had a Series VI adapter and hood at one point for use with a Rollei Old Standard. I'm sure that I didn't sell the hood with the camera, but I'll be dipped if I can find it. Tearing the house apart looking, though...

Chauncey Walden
3-Sep-2010, 10:01
You'll probably have to play some games anyway to get a shade on it that won't vignette with that wide angle lens. Perhaps you'll have to get a VI to VII adapter and use a larger shade - or, maybe the two adapters by themselves will be enough.

BetterSense
3-Sep-2010, 18:29
Consider a piece of toilet paper tube or section of a black 35mm film canister.

monkeymon
4-Sep-2010, 13:39
There is a person selling old push fit lens hoods in ebay, just check his inventory (it's pretty impressive:)) and get something that looks wide angle and is 32mm. Thats where i got mine, ended up sawing it a bit shorter, but it's all good.

http://stores.ebay.com/photowidget

Scott --
7-Sep-2010, 10:23
FWIW, a Series VI adapter is a little larger than needed, but the tabs can be folded in to compensate. The standard Series VI hood vignettes the 90/6.8 Optar slightly, but I need to shoot with it to see if it's an issue. If it is, the hood can be cut back, or (better option) a wider one found on eBay.

Scott --
7-Sep-2010, 13:14
Yep - clips the corners. I can either hacksaw off 5mm of length, or wait for a wider one to come up on eBay. Can't seem to find one anywhere else... :confused:

Chauncey Walden
7-Sep-2010, 14:03
Scott, just for your information, Series VI adapters came in a wide range of sizes on the camera end. The only fixed size was the receptacle for the Series VI filter. The adapters came in screw in, slip on with the many prongs or slip on with a set screw. The Series to Series adapters screwed into the front instead of the filter retaining ring or shade and allowed the next larger size of Series filters or shades to be used. You might pick up a Series VI to Series VII adapter and find the additional diameter will allow you to use a Series VII shade unmodified or that the adapter with retaining ring may be shade enough.

Scott --
10-Sep-2010, 06:54
Well, I couldn't find a suitable hood for this lens, and it flares something awful. So, when all else fails, make it yerse'f (http://wp.me/pWENv-2w).

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/smpsweeps/100_0632.jpg