PDA

View Full Version : Korona Home Portrait camera

Sighthound Lover
2-Sep-2010, 12:58
I just bought a Gundlach-Manhattan Korona Home Portrait 8 x 10 camera for my son.He's a photography major at the Glasgow School of Art and I plan on sending it to him. It has the shutter assembly and a threaded mount for a lens but no lens. I'm no photographer so I hope these questions aren't too stupid! Does this camera need a lens?If it does,what kind of lens?This camera is 8 x 10 but it also has a 5 x 7 adapter plate with it so does it need different lenses? I was looking at lenses on ebay so I'm deep in sticker shock right now,especially since the camear only cost $75 and looks like new. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Steven Tribe
2-Sep-2010, 13:09
Photo of the front area please!

Ernest Purdum
4-Sep-2010, 17:04
Your son's instructor may have suggestions as to what lens to buy. My recollection of the Korona Home Portrait is that it takes a nice large lensboard, so there are many possibilities.

Lenses for 5X7 are apt to be less expensive than those for 8X10. Film costs are less, also. It is good that you have both backs.

Sighthound Lover
5-Sep-2010, 17:13
I took pictures of the front but can't seem to download them onto this site for some reason.I really wanted to send him a somewhat complete camera but may have to settle for sending it as is and letting him worry about a lens.The front piece is 9" x 9" and it has a 2 3/4" hole in the center.Over this,on the outside, is screwed a threaded piece with female threads and approx 2.585" inside diameter.I assume a lens would thread into this piece?Behind this, inside the camera, is a Packard Ideal shutter mechanism. Thanks for the responses.

cblurton
6-Sep-2010, 17:04
I took pictures of the front but can't seem to download them onto this site for some reason.I really wanted to send him a somewhat complete camera but may have to settle for sending it as is and letting him worry about a lens.

He will thank you for this, especially if you provide him with funds to purchase a lens of his choice.

AgentX
6-Sep-2010, 20:17
Lenses on large format cameras like this are mounted to boards, which you can change out to use different lenses, each mounted on its own board. They're mounted to the board via nuts that screw on from behind, or threaded rings ("flange") like the one on your camera. Looks like you're missing the lens. Unlikely you'll find one that will screw into your flange. If you get another lens, you will need to have it mounted to the board, or get a new board of the appropriate dimensions if the lens is of a smaller diameter. (or get home-spun and come up with a solution like another board screwed to the front and re-bored with a smaller hole...you can get creative with large format wood cameras...)

Google "SK Grimes," a machinist who services cameras like this, and you'll see examples of how it all works.

Since your camera has the Packard shutter, you can find cheap, old, classic shutterless ("barrel") lenses to use, or use modern lenses with the shutter and just leave the Packard in the open position. Good setup. Your son's a lucky guy.

Pete Watkins
7-Sep-2010, 00:27
Sight Hound Lover,
A word of caution, if you want your son to use this camera in the new term I suggest that you get it in the post to him as soon as possible. The UK Customs are cretins and it could take up to four or five weeks to reach your son. If they behave as they usually do he will also need to pay 17 1/2% VAT on the camera (including the postage and packing) also import duties. Getting cameras into the UK is no fun.
Nothing to do with this but ain't sight hounds wonderful, I've got a lurcher and a greyhound, fantastic?
Pete.

joselsgil
20-Sep-2010, 13:03
Sight Hound Lover,
A word of caution, if you want your son to use this camera in the new term I suggest that you get it in the post to him as soon as possible. The UK Customs are cretins and it could take up to four or five weeks to reach your son. If they behave as they usually do he will also need to pay 17 1/2% VAT on the camera (including the postage and packing) also import duties. Getting cameras into the UK is no fun.
Nothing to do with this but ain't sight hounds wonderful, I've got a lurcher and a greyhound, fantastic?
Pete.

Pete,
Do they charge the VAT if you send it as a gift? Just curious.

jackpie
20-Sep-2010, 17:27
Here are 2 links that explain import duties and VAT charges when importing goods into the UK and EC.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageImport_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000279&propertyType=document

http://www.dutycalculator.com/

The threshold for gifts is I believe about £50. If the total value of the package is below this VAT will not be charged, above this it will be charged on the whole value.

It's all very complicated but the bottom line in your case is that I think you will be charged VAT at 17.5% on the full amount including shipping and insurance charges. Plus a charge from the courier for collecting the fee!

Sighthound Lover
7-Oct-2010, 17:51
Well, I finally mailed the camera, lenses and other things to Scotland. The included insurance was $175 so I let it go at that. I put a value of $50 on the customs form and said it was a gift (which it was). My son received it today and didn't have to pay anything which was good. It took 10 days to get there from Rhode Island.