PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid 4x5 Sheet Film in Graflex Super D

spacegoose
2-Sep-2010, 12:40
I've tested this film under metered strobe lighting with leaf shutter lenses and get excellent exposures. In my Graflex Super D I'm not having as much luck. My exposures are way overexposed. I never noticed with traditional film but thought to increase my shutter speed from what the meter told me (using reflective) by one stop. Shots are still very muddy and/or way overexposed - e.g. hand-held, 200th of a sec, where meter says 100th of a sec. portrait - I get an image that cannot be discerned.

I'm quite certain I'm not fogging the film after lifting the envelope. I'm using a 545i (camera has a Graflok - the locks do not fully engage the 545i for some reason - where on another Graflok back - they do). I think my camera is light tight - otherwise my film exposures would also be overexposed. Is there something inherent in the focal plane shutter (maybe that it's cloth) that is causing my problem. Or maybe it's just wildly inaccurate (it is over 50 years old :)) and I should just keep increasing the speed - or decreasing the aperture? Have kept trying - still getting images that cannot be discerned. It's now more that the images are not discernible, rather than overexposure.

I also wondered about the reciprocity of Polaroid sheet film, and if that might be an issue. I'm having the same issue in this camera (and another Super D with the spring type back) with several types of '08 Polaroid sheet film I acquired from Craigslist (52, 54, 55, etc.). I believe I was able to use pack film both Fuji and Polaroid (in a 550 holder) in this camera successfully.

Could it be the automatic diaphragming? Doesn't seem to be... tried it without (e.g. disengaged the auto diaphragming lever on the lens), issue is different but still nothing discernible appears. Actually I had a similar but not as severe issue with a non automatic diaphragming lens too, on a different Super D yesterday...

Maybe the 545i is not compatible with the Super D?

*I think the problem is when the revolving back is in portrait/vertical mode - with the film pull facing top - the back is not entirely flush. Horizontal (or vertical facing down) does not to have this issue. I'm betting this is my issue. Will report back!

That was the issue - feeling silly now.

Thanks,
Bill

BetterSense
2-Sep-2010, 12:45
My first guess is that your shutter and/or apertures are calibrated wrong. Perhaps the shutter is a stop or two slow.

g zuili
2-Sep-2010, 18:42
*I think the problem is when the revolving back is in portrait/vertical mode - with the film pull facing top - the back is not entirely flush. Horizontal (or vertical facing down) does not to have this issue. I'm betting this is my issue.

Yes. I just got one today with Graflok back. I tried to put the 405 Pola back and had same issue than you.

Guillaume