PDA

View Full Version : Arca-Swiss back orientation change?

John Whitley
1-Sep-2010, 14:44
Hi all,

From Stroebel's View Camera Technique and what I've found online, Arca-Swiss cameras apparently don't have rotating backs. However, I've seen photos that suggest the back orientation can be switched. It looks like there are simple spring clips for the entire back panel assembly that would allow choice of landscape vs. portrait orientation.

Can any Arca users chime in to confirm this? FWIW, I'm specifically interested in the Discovery on this point, but I gather that its standards are essentially identical to the other 4x5 Arca cameras.

Thanks,
John

williamtheis
1-Sep-2010, 15:26
yes! unclip the back and remove it, rotate it, clip it back on. same is true for almost all folding cameras like the deardorf, wisner, tachihara, etc. Rotating backs add weight and not much value

John Whitley
1-Sep-2010, 17:22
Thanks for the info, William. I suppose it shows that the cameras I have experience with either have rotating backs or use some other scheme (e.g. Toho's rotate everything approach).

evan clarke
1-Sep-2010, 18:15
Hi all,

From Stroebel's View Camera Technique and what I've found online, Arca-Swiss cameras apparently don't have rotating backs. However, I've seen photos that suggest the back orientation can be switched. It looks like there are simple spring clips for the entire back panel assembly that would allow choice of landscape vs. portrait orientation.

Can any Arca users chime in to confirm this? FWIW, I'm specifically interested in the Discovery on this point, but I gather that its standards are essentially identical to the other 4x5 Arca cameras.

Thanks,
John

I have 5 Arcas and the two newest have a single cammed button which releases the back, I'm including a poor digital picture..Evan Clarke

Emmanuel BIGLER
2-Sep-2010, 08:36
.. and do not make the same mistake as me with my A/S 4x5" "field"

- framed vertical
- inserted the film holder horizontal
- removed the dark slide, ready to shoot
- at the last minute, discovered that it should be vertical, not horizontal
- switched the back to vertical....

oops ! the dark slide !

There is the advantage of a rotating back ;)

evan clarke
2-Sep-2010, 08:52

- framed vertical

oops ! the dark slide !

I have a nice Wista RF with a rotating back and some Ebonies and others, but no camera beats my 141 Fmetric orbix for my uses..Love it!!!...EC:D

John Whitley
2-Sep-2010, 14:16
oops ! the dark slide !

Hi Emmanuel -- thanks for the hard-earned advice, and a few laughs this morning! ;-)

sultanofcognac
10-Sep-2010, 01:42

- framed vertical

oops ! the dark slide !

Never had that problem with either my A/S or Plaubel 8x10 in the field. When I frame and focus it's always in the position that I want the image (horiz/vert).

Interesting… :cool:

Armin Seeholzer
10-Sep-2010, 02:01
Emmanuel could it be you had to much good french wine in your blood at that time?

Cheers Armin

Michael_4514
10-Sep-2010, 02:42

- framed vertical

oops ! the dark slide !

I don't get it. How do you frame vertical without the back being in the vertical position? In which case it's impossible to insert the film horizontally. You must have removed the back after framing and focusing, and then put the back in the wrong position?