PDA

View Full Version : R.B. Graflex Series B 4x5 - Film Backs That Will Fit

Fragomeni
31-Aug-2010, 19:55
I just picked up an R.B. Graflex Series B 4x5 for a steal on ebay. My question deals with which film backs specifically fit and will work on this camera. Yea, I've read everything on Graflex.org and I understand what is written there but it doesn't answer all of my questions.

As far as roll film goes, I understand that the Graflex roll film holders differ and I know what the differences look like but is it true that only the older model (marked Graflex only) works and not the Graphic models or 23 Graphic models? I ask because I've seen some images of the 23 Graphic on the same model camera. It may physically fit but not line up properly. Looking for confirmation and an explanation of this (as well as a roll film back that will fit if anyone reading this has one).

Also, how are Bag Mags? As well as the Grafmatic backs? Do both of these fit or only specific models?

Thank you for your help, I'm excited to get this thing shooting!

Fotoguy20d
1-Sep-2010, 04:45
The graflex backs are physically different from the graphic backs - they're slightly wider (in the 4" direction) and shorter (in the 5" direction). They also have a notch cut into each of the longer edges, around 1/2" from the right side. As you note, they are marked differently. A graphic back will not fit into a graflex and the reverse is also true. Roll film and grafmatics are available for the graflex back but at around a 25-50% premium over the similar graphic back (assuming the seller and buyers are aware of what they're looking at). Bag mags, as far as I know, are only for graflex backs. They talke some getting used to, and the bags can have holes (but can be repaired/replaced), but they do work.

Dan

Bill_1856
1-Sep-2010, 09:31
Bag Mags are fantastically good, but MAY be a little tricky to use, and the leather is getting old and may need replacing. Grafmatics may be even better, but they are very rare for the Graflex back.

Jay DeFehr
1-Sep-2010, 10:06
I shoot a Graflex SLR in 3x4, and really love it. I use bag mags, and highly recommend them. They're easy to load and to use. It only takes a little longer to cycle through sheets in a bag mag than it does to advance frames on roll film, and I get (12) 3x4 exposures/ magazine. The Graflex is not as quick or easy to operate as my RB67, but the 3x4 negatives are significantly larger, and the little contact prints have a precious quality I like. 4x5 seems much larger than 3x4.

I also have a 2x3 Graflex that I'd love to find a roll holder for. I bought one too hastily at ebay only to find it was made for 3"+ wide roll film, with the long dimension of the format oriented vertically on the film. I'm not excited enough about this camera to shoot 2x3 cut film in the expensive slotted holders, since it's too close in format and function to my RB67.

I'd really like to get one of the 5x7 Home Portrait models, one day.

Good luck, and enjoy your camera!

Fragomeni
1-Sep-2010, 10:56
Grafmatics may be even better, but they are very rare for the Graflex back.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the Grafmatics, like the Bag Mags, were made specifically for the Graflex?

Bill_1856
1-Sep-2010, 11:52
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the Grafmatics, like the Bag Mags, were made specifically for the Graflex?

Consider yourself corrected. I have several for 2x3 and 4x5 Crown Graphics. They were never available for 3x4 in either back, however.:)

Fragomeni
1-Sep-2010, 11:59
Thanks! See, learn something new every day! So does anyone have one for the Graflex that I need!? This camera needs to be put to use!!

Fragomeni
1-Sep-2010, 14:59
Also, can someone explain exactly how to tell the Grafmatics apart? I know how to tell the difference between the roll film backs that fit the R.B. Graflex vs the other models but I dont know how to tell if a Grafmatic will fit. Any help would be hugely appreciated. I'm also looking for Bag Mags and that should be easier to deal with since they were only made for these cameras.

Lynn Jones
1-Sep-2010, 15:59
I had two of my 4x5 Graflexes in an earlier life and I had them converted to Grafloc type and then refocused for the difference in distance. I think one of them was actually a cambo back that then worked in the same way. That way I could use any regular 4x5 film holder.

i still have one Graflex, a 3x4 and I had that permanently replaced with a Graflex 23 roll holder. I still use it occasionally.

Lynn

203Ektar
16-Feb-2011, 00:59
Also, can someone explain exactly how to tell the Grafmatics apart? I know how to tell the difference between the roll film backs that fit the R.B. Graflex vs the other models but I dont know how to tell if a Grafmatic will fit. Any help would be hugely appreciated. I'm also looking for Bag Mags and that should be easier to deal with since they were only made for these cameras.

Hi,

I'm coming to this thread rather late, but I thought I'd answer your question. The easiest way to tell is to look at the back of the Grafmatic for the catalog number. For the 4x5 Grafmatics it will say CAT. NO. and then a number. If it says CAT. NO. 1268, then you have the "Graphic" version, which is for the Speed and Crown Graphic cameras. You want a Grafmatic that has the words CAT. NO. 1168 printed on the Grafmatic as this is the correct one for the R.B. Graflexes. They do exist, but they can be hard to find.

Mike

Fragomeni
16-Feb-2011, 08:33
Hi and thanks for your comment (never too late). Anyway, in the time since this thread was originally posted I've have a number of these pass through my hands. For me the clearest tale tale sign is that the holders for the RB series will have 1 indented groove near the top close to where the dark slide enters (on the film side that meets the camera). Later models made for cameras after the RB series have a raised ridge instead of the indent. The change occurred because Graflex realized that putting a raised lip (what fits into this groove and assures a light tight fit) was disadvantageous because as a result of wear over time the lip would wear down and would not hold holders on as tightly and snugly. The moved to the never design with the raised ridge on the holders because it was better to wear out the ridge on the holder then on the camera so the ridge was put on the holders and the later cameras were designed with an indent (far less susceptible to wear) to receive the holder's ridge.

For anyone interested, I have a short tutorial (http://www.francescofragomeni.com/rb-graflex-mod-for-fuji-pa-145/) on my website on how to make a temporary adaptation to the R.B. Series cameras to take a Fuji PA-145 instant film holder. This opens up a whole new world for this camera! Have fun!

Sirius Glass
16-Feb-2011, 18:44
Bert at graflex.org made an adapter so that I have a Grafloc back and I Graphic film holder and Grafmatic 45 back.