PDA

View Full Version : Lee wide angle hood/filter with SA47XL

Andrew Booth
29-Apr-2002, 15:58
I wonder if anyone has experience using lens hoods with the Schneider SA47XL on 4x5 and 6x9.

I've just purchased my first LF camera - a Cambo Wide DS and the 47mm lens. I'm using it with Schneider's center filter - with a front thread of 86mm. I really need a lens hood for this, since I've already experienced some flare and reflect ions from out of frame lights.

I was hoping to use a Lee wide angle hood/singe filter holder with a wide angle 86mm adapter. Has anyone tried this on the above combination? Does it vignette? Any other hints/tips?

I'm also considering using the camea with a 6x9 back and the Cambo viewfinder. I n this configuration I would remove the ground glass, and rely on the helical to focus. Any tips on pre-setting filter hood extension to avoid vignessing proble ms? The hood I'm considering has no lock or measuring scale.

Thanks!

Ellis Vener
29-Apr-2002, 16:11
For 4x5 i don't think the lee filter holder + hood combo will work. even wit hthe wide angle attachment ring and the wide version ofthe Lee Hood i suspect you'll get some vignetting along the long dimension of the 4x5 piece of film. A better bet would be the straightforward Lee foundation kit andthe w/a attachment ring.

wit h6x9 , since you aren't covering as wide an angle of view the wide angle version of the lee hood+filter holdr should work fine, but once again I strongly recommend you get the wide angle attachment ring.

Julio Fernandez
1-May-2002, 22:42
Andrew: Lee has a wide angle hood. That might work but you should ask Lee first. They are courteous, helpful people and am sure they will reply. The regular hood will not work. Make sure when you get a Lee hood that you do not get one with two filter slots. Each additional filter slot narrows the angle of view.

Thilo Schmid
3-May-2002, 05:18
Andrew,

The shortest Lens I use Lee Filter Hoods with is a 90mm lens on a 4x5". For shorter lenses, I prefer a Lens Shade, because it is better adjustable to block direct sun light. The lens hood must not vignett the whole image circle while a lens shade may vignett the parts you don't need. There will not be much left with a 47XL on 4x5, but you will have an advantage on 6x9.

Regards,

dangal
6-May-2002, 19:07
Andrew, I have the previous model of the cambowide with the 47xl wilh the 3c filter. I don't have and plan to use a hood because I always try to shot with even lighting with this ultra wide lens. Also, I don't tend to "move" with this lens because the distortion become really obvious. I am wondering whether you have or tried or planning to buy the cambowide viewfinder?

Renee

Andrew Booth
6-May-2002, 19:35
Thanks for your answers. Just to clarify - I was interested in the Lee solution primarily because it looked like a good lens hood - I don't use many filters and I would only need 1 maximum if I used it as a filter holder.

I discussed the lens hood situation with my nearest photo dealers (Robert White) and they were unsure about the suitability of the wide angle shade. If I used a shade I also think I would have to take the 'roll-bars' off the front of the camera, which I don't want to do. I ended up buying a flag attachment which should work well if there's a single bright off-shot source.

Renee, good to hear from someone else with one of these. Due to the appaling weather we have to deal with in England, and a bout of the 'flu, I haven't used mine much! I've considered the viewfinder, but I'm told that it's out of production. I have the right-angle ground glass viewer which is OK, but I'd like to use the camera more rapidly with a 6x9 back. I'll try to get hold of a used Cambo viewfinder, but the other alternatives I've been considering are the Voigtlander 21mm viewfinder (which is very close in aspect ratio and field of view to 47 on 6x9) and building my own 'sportsfinder' to clip on to the cold shoe. I think the latter should be quite easy to do.