PDA

View Full Version : Filter/Shade adapter

Steve Feldman
29-Apr-2002, 01:24
I have 4 lenses for my 4x5 Pacemaker Crown Graphic. I've been able to screw in a threaded adapter to my 135mm Schneider and 10" Tele-Raptor and use step-up ring s to use the 58mm threads on my black & white filters and rubber shades. (My fil ters do triple duty using them on 35mm, medium format and 4x5).

My other 2 lenses are a 90mm Graflex Optar f6.8 and a Kodak Ektar 203mm f7.7 . T hese lenses have no threads, so a push-on adapter is necessary. Anyone out there know the correct size for these two lenses. It would be great to be able to use filters and hoods on these also. (Camera shows don't have much in the way of "a ntique" gear).

Also, what are the correct sizes for front and rear caps for these lenses. They are bare at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

This is a fantastic forum. Great education.

Gary Meader
3-May-2002, 12:47
Steve I'm not sure, but I think what you need is a 'Series' adapter from Kodak. I don't know which series, but take your lenses and filters to the nearest antique/junk shop and look for them there. They're cheap, and work just fine if you find the right one.

tim atherton
3-May-2002, 13:40
Yes, you ned the push on series adapters that kodak and others made - they are dozens (possibly huindreds!) of sizes.

My Kodak reference book for 1946 gives the ektar as having 1 5/16th" (33mm)adapter for series VI - check it with a ruler.

Yes, you can often find these in the "filter box" at used camera stores, but I have had great success finding them on ebay, in all sorts of sizes and pretty cheap. Sometimes one at a time, somtimes buying a job lot to get the one you want. And you can usually pick up series hoods in the same way. Just go to the photo section and run some searches for Series adapter, series VI, series 6 and so on. Should find something in a week or two.

Measure your Optar and you will probably find an adapter too.

Oh the other thing is, they are usually beautifully made! Look like they'll last at least another 100 years. Turned and machined and finished well, not like most of todays crap!

tim

tim atherton
3-May-2002, 13:43
Yes, you need the push on series adapters that kodak and others made - they are dozens (possibly huindreds!) of sizes.

My Kodak reference book for 1946 gives the ektar as having 1 5/16th" (33mm)adapter for series VI - check it with a ruler.

Yes, you can often find these in the "filter box" at used camera stores, but I have had great success finding them on ebay, in all sorts of sizes and pretty cheap. Sometimes one at a time, somtimes buying a job lot to get the one you want. And you can usually pick up series hoods in the same way. Just go to the photo section and run some searches for Series adapter, series VI, series 6 and so on. Should find something in a week or two.

Measure your Optar and you will probably find an adapter too.

Oh the other thing is, they are usually beautifully made! Look like they'll last at least another 100 years. Turned and machined and finished well, not like most of todays crap!

tim