PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Levels for LF Cameras

tom thomas
27-Aug-2010, 14:49
I've read several threads about using levels on LF cameras as well as trying to replace damaged ones. I got curious about getting one for my use. I'd seen a $45 rectangular level that mounts on a camera flash mount at the local pro shop but I didn't want to put that much money into one.

I thought what I found today might be helpful for others in the forum. I "googled" circular bubble levels yesteday and spotted some potentials including at least one model that is screw-mounted. Sears had one that looked interesting on the internet.

I went to Sears today and found a real nice Craftsman Circular Level for $1.49 (MADE IN U.S.A..) (about 1 Euro 10 or so) It is 1 3/8 inch diameter, clear acrylic and guaranteed for life by Sears. It looks perfect for leveling even view cameras (get two) without having to spend big bucks. I was so pleased that I bought three (all they had) at about the price of one unexposed 4X5 negative in France.

I don't want to alter the historical/collector appearance of my Graflex 45 so I'll just set one on top behind the rangefinder after I've stabilized the tripod. If I forget and drop it when I'm finished, it's large enough to spot on the ground and if it falls in the Grand Canyon, cheap enough to carry a spare.

If I want to attach it, I have some double sided carpet tape that is tenacious yet very thin and easy to cut with scissors or razor knife. Should be fairly easy to remove without damaging the leather on the camera body.

Would others find a circular bubble level like this one helpful? Google it and you can see the one Sears offers too. For anyone in Europe or overseas need/want one, the level is so cheap (how much could customs be on 1 Euro 10), light, easy to ship that perhaps someone would volunteer to help them out. I would but I'm going to Europe myself next week for 3 months. I'm taking all three of mine so I'll have at least one extra should someone need it while I'm there. Drop me a private em.

Tom
Ah, France beckons, I can smell the sweet scent of lavender already. If I weren't so deaf, I would be able to hear the cicadias (cigalle) too. I can still imagine what they sound like though. I'll turn up my hearing aids for them I guess.

Tom

Dave Grenet
27-Aug-2010, 16:33
While I really don't want to get into a discussion about Chinese bubble levels and their accuracy :rolleyes: , here (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2341) is one available from a Hong Kong based online seller...

ki6mf
27-Aug-2010, 19:47
Go to local hardware store buy a pocket level for $3.00 rotate it 90 degrees using your tilt head to level front and back standards. Save the $47.00 in the lens bank!

Mark Sawyer
27-Aug-2010, 21:23
When I use one, (not too often), I like a little torpedo level. I'd recommend you get one locally and check through several before buying one. My experience is that small levels have poor quality control and are often off a bit. Of course, if you attach a small bubble level to a camera, you can mess up a good one (or correct for a bad one) during the mounting.

Brian C. Miller
27-Aug-2010, 22:35
One of my local hardware stores has keychain bubble levels. Before I buy, I check their accuracy. They are very cheap and compact.

Scotty230358
27-Aug-2010, 23:02
I use a small automotive level made by Kamasa. Its the size of a biro

aluncrockford
28-Aug-2010, 04:28
I use a level cast in a perspex block which is about 2 1/2 by 1 inch , it was made in japan and used to be branded with the horseman logo , it is by far the best spirit level I have used and would recommend them to all large format users , as soon as I track down the German tool supplier that stocks them I will post it

BetterSense
28-Aug-2010, 05:12
While I really don't want to get into a discussion about Chinese bubble levels and their accuracy

It is easy to verify the accuracy of any bubble level. Just take a reading, then spin the level 180 degrees. If the readings are any different, the level is not accurate. A circular bubble level can just be spun in place on any flat surface. If the relationship between the bubble and the circular pipper changes, the level is not accurate. Most of them are right on, even the cheap ones.

B.S.Kumar
28-Aug-2010, 05:31
I use a level cast in a perspex block which is about 2 1/2 by 1 inch , it was made in japan and used to be branded with the horseman logo , it is by far the best spirit level I have used and would recommend them to all large format users , as soon as I track down the German tool supplier that stocks them I will post it

Those are made by Ebisu http://www.ebisu-level.co.jp/eng/index.html
They are indeed the best I have used.

Kumar

tom thomas
28-Aug-2010, 08:12
Dave, the Hong Kong bubble level you've pointed out for $3.49 looks exactly like the one I found for $45 in a local camera shop with some brand name on it. If my Graflex had a flash shoe on it, this one would be perfect.

I have a small line level but thought the circular bubble level would be faster to use as it checks both directions at the same time. It does have to be viewed looking straight down though which I just realized isn't easy with some of the large view cameras or one mounted high on a tripod.

Looks like the small string/line level is still the best bet. I was hoping for a faster alternative. I can still use the circular level in bars to make sure my beer doesn't spill when filled to the brim. That's what the coasters are for and old bottle caps too.

Ron Marshall
28-Aug-2010, 09:31
Very compact model from Ebisu:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/gifts/page.aspx?p=48816&cat=4,104,53218

Cor
28-Aug-2010, 10:33
Call me ignorant, but what about just using the grid lines on your ground glass (provided that you have those off course)?

Best,

Cor

Tom Schaefer
28-Aug-2010, 10:38
Just downloaded An App for the
Iphone for free looks pretty good so far
ihandy level

Tom