PDA

View Full Version : Type 55 Virgin

spacegoose
27-Aug-2010, 11:58
By the time I started getting interested in LF Type 55 was probably on its last run. I see it available on eBay for $$$. I believe it retailed for around $80.00 when it was last produced...

What's the thought on buying it today? Keeping in mind I'm a T55 virgin - and the likelihood this film will ever be produced again (even by TIP) is slim ... would any of you (especially my fellow T55 virgins) buy it for roughly twice+ the retail price, and almost certainly a few years out of date? How far out of date would you consider? How much is too much?

I appreciate your thoughts. I'm also wondering on the best way to expose this film. It sounds like it will require a lot of light so I'm wondering if a studio strobe and softbox will help expose this film nicely?

Additionally, is there a rating that will yield both excellent positives and negatives (if so - what is it :) - or should I just expose for one or the other?

Lastly, I know I'll need to coat the positives and soak the negatives (in a sodium sulfite solution) - any tips for either are also much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Jan Pedersen
27-Aug-2010, 12:16
Bill,
Shoot the film at 25 ISO for the negative and forget the positive, it really is the negative that shines and are unique.
I use a Yankee tank and sodium sulfite to clear the negative and it works well, in fact i don't know of any other use for the Yankee tank.
Type 55 from January 09 if stored flat in the fridge will be good for a while, at least i have not seen any change from when it was in date.

Brian C. Miller
27-Aug-2010, 13:02
You will need a Polaroid 545 holder, which should realistically cost you shipping only. Honestly, it really isn't worth the money now. If you are already nuts about Type 55, know what to do with it, and can't bear to use the Fuji pack film, then of course go for it.

However, the Fuji FP-100C45 or FP-100B45 do have film inside of them. There is a recent thread discussing them. These films fit in the Polaroid 550 holder, or the Fuji PA-45 holder. It takes more effort to get at the negative, but it can be done.

spacegoose
27-Aug-2010, 13:17
Thanks for the info. Sadly FP-100B45 is also discontinued.

spacegoose
27-Aug-2010, 13:20
Thanks for the info Jan. Good to know the negative is where it's at!

Brian C. Miller
27-Aug-2010, 13:28
FP-100 is extremely available, and for cheap. My local store, Glazer's Camera, has lots of it, and B&H has it. I'd rather spend less than $30 per pack than over $200 per box.

Frank Petronio
27-Aug-2010, 13:33
It's like a dead loved one, let the corpse be and move on....

spacegoose
27-Aug-2010, 13:46
FP-100 is extremely available, and for cheap. My local store, Glazer's Camera, has lots of it, and B&H has it. I'd rather spend less than $30 per pack than over $200 per box.

Good to know!

jnantz
27-Aug-2010, 14:24
old polaroid pods dry out ...
and if it was frozen that isnt' a good sign.

you can shoot it like readyloads and process it
in your favorite film developer instead of using the pod
look for times for panatomic x ...

you can substitute perma wash for the sodium sulfite if you don't
have any lying around.

Robert Hughes
30-Aug-2010, 13:59
It's like a dead loved one, let the corpse be and move on....
Even if she's still a virgin? :confused: