PDA

View Full Version : Gravity Works film washer

Rayt
25-Aug-2010, 22:33
I just bought a Gravity Works film washer but without the sheet film basket. Can anyone tell me if there is anything in the market that can be used as a substitute for the basket to hold 4x5 and 5x7 sheet film? What about those film hangers? If anyone has any experience please let me know. I don't want to get the hangers just to find out the hard way they don't fit or are not compatible for whatever reason. Thanks in advance.

aduncanson
26-Aug-2010, 09:59
I use mine with 4x5 & 5x7 film hangers, never more than 6 at a time. I think that more would get crowded. I recall that that was the purpose of the basket.

Michael Graves
26-Aug-2010, 10:04
The 4x5 basket is an acrylic frame with slots that allow the sheets of film to be inserted into the basket without need for film hangers. It is conventient, but unnecessary. The sheet film hangers will fit fine, but as the person from Indianapolis says, limit it to 6 at a time. The basket allows 12.

Jeff Bannow
26-Aug-2010, 11:22
And the basket could be made easily by anyone with a router, tablesaw and some glue I would think.

aduncanson
26-Aug-2010, 13:30
but as the person from Indianapolis says, limit it to 6 at a time. The basket allows 12.

Many of us from Indianapolis think of Michael Graves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Graves)as a person from Indianapolis.

- Alan Duncanson

Allen in Montreal
28-Aug-2010, 07:06
......a substitute for the basket to hold 4x5 and 5x7 sheet film? What about those film hangers?........

The basket mounts 4x5 film vertically, so the 5x7 can not be washed in the basket and hangers must be used for 5x7.

It is a great washer, enjoy.

chris kleihege
30-Aug-2010, 07:53
I bought a washer on ebay a few months ago and it came without a basket (turns out I bought just the washer when I bought a washer. Live and learn). I bought the basket from B and H. The basket was stupid expensive for some plastic, but now it is mine.

Steve Goldstein
30-Aug-2010, 08:37
The basket mounts 4x5 film vertically, so the 5x7 can not be washed in the basket and hangers must be used for 5x7.

It is a great washer, enjoy.

I purchased a used Gravity Works washer that came with an additional home-made 5x7 basket very similar in design to the standard 4x5 basket. The film goes the long way, and it only holds 4 or 5 sheets, but it's easily possible to wash 5x7 with it. I contacted GW about offering this as a standard product. They said 5x7 wouldn't fit, contrary to my existence proof. There may be a valid business reason for them to not offer it, but it's definitely possible.

Michael Graves
30-Aug-2010, 11:06
Many of us from Indianapolis think of Michael Graves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Graves)as a person from Indianapolis.

- Alan Duncanson

I think of THAT guy as the person who drives me to the bottom of the web searches!:(