PDA

View Full Version : E6 - how much soup?

Eirik Berger
24-Aug-2010, 01:56
I have developed E6 for years, with different Jobo drums, and specially the Expert drum 3010 that takes 10 sheets of film. The tank has a maximum capasity of 330 ml and I have always used this amount of chemistry when processing E6 and C-41.

I friend of mine wants me to develop some 5x7" sheets. I have the 3005 Expert drum as well that takes 5 sheets of 5x7-film. And suddenly I wonder how much soup to run in then tank?

Well, my real questions is how much E6-chemistry does one need for a given area of film?

vinny
24-Aug-2010, 04:14
I and many folks here use 500ml in the 3005. It's enough for 8x10 anyway.

Eirik Berger
24-Aug-2010, 05:09
Thanks, that would be my guess as well. That should be enough.

I read the jobo Website (http://www.jobo.com/web/Expert-Drums.338.0.html) that the 3006 that take 6 sheets of 5x7" have a max capasity of 342 ml, that means 57 ml of chemistry for each sheet.

And the 3010 only have 33 ml of chemistry for each sheet. Thats really low quantities, but the results are great, so I guess it is enough.

eric black
24-Aug-2010, 07:41
I develop e-6 in the 3005 with 500 mL and in the 3010 with 250 mL. I always run the drums with the full compliment of film and have never had a bad batch. I use the Kodak kits (or at least did- still hoping for the best on this front with the recent discontinuation news)

Eirik Berger
24-Aug-2010, 08:57
I found a webshop in England that sells Fuji Hunt Chrome6 which is a 6-bath E6 kit (5 litre). And they claim this is something new from Fuji:
http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/fuji-hunt-chrome6-e6-kit-5l-1758-p.asp

Expensive though... :(

IanMazursky
26-Aug-2010, 21:52
Ive been using 210ml from the Kodak E6 kit per 8x10 in a Jobo 2830 drum.
I could probably use less but id rather be safe then sorry. Its something i am going to experiment with.
Now that i have to start buying the individual components, i want to try for more economy out of the chemistry.

Denis Pleic
26-Aug-2010, 23:24
I found a webshop in England that sells Fuji Hunt Chrome6 which is a 6-bath E6 kit (5 litre). And they claim this is something new from Fuji:
http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/fuji-hunt-chrome6-e6-kit-5l-1758-p.asp

Expensive though... :(

Eirik,

I've been using that same kit for about a year now. No problems whatsoever.
However, my quantities are not comparable - I don't have Expert drums (only the "ordinary" ones), so I usually use more chemistry.

The price sure is high. I've paid about 45 EUR + VAT locally (in Croatia), from a local Fuji representative, for the same 5-liter kit, last year. That's about 37 GBP plus VAT tax.

Clive Gray
27-Aug-2010, 00:29
I'm sure I've seen that cheaper but can't find a link to any of the usual suspects at the moment.

I was going to suggest look at their price for the Kodiak kit however

We believe this product has now been discontinued**** We recommend the Fuji Hunt 5L E6 kit or the Tetenal 5L kit as an alternative, and the new Fuji Chrome 6, 6 bath kit. Customers wishing to process 6 bath should look to the pro-packs of chemisty, although these are considerably larger quantities - please ask us for details

I must admit I gave up on the 5L kits and searched out the full Fuji Hunt pro process I was lucky enough to get the full set of chemicals for about £180 as Allphotos gave me a big discount as they were not sure how long they had been in stock, even at £250 - £300 if you are doing enough shooting and use the usual tricks to prolong te chemical life it's way more economic.

With rotary processing though the 3 bath Tetanal chemistry should be fine, is there a reason you want to go to a full E6 process? for dip dunk it makes sense to replenish but for rotary discard there shouldn't be real issues with Blix.