PDA

View Full Version : New darkroom installation

menelajas
23-Aug-2010, 22:56
Hello, my dear colleagues,

I need your advices:

We are renovating ( more likely rebuilding) photography museum (In Lithuania). The plan is to install new dark room. We are just comparing prices and planing know.

The space is 2,5m X 5m the height 2,9m

1) Proper ventilation
2) custom made large sink with borders
3) working space for 2 or 3 persons
4) 3 Enlargers: one at least for 4x5 sheet film; one with color head ( still thinking maybe just b&w depending on cost); enlarger lens
5) Compressor
-------------------
Which one suppliers you can recommend? (EU or in USA )

Of course we need and developing tanks...and other small stuff but at first about 1) to 5)

Be free to express your opinion:)

bob carnie
24-Aug-2010, 06:33
1 - ventilation , humidity control, hire a good contractor
2- Wood Sink , competent carpenter with west system to waterproof
3. Pretty tight for three people at a time , but just my opinion.
4. Omega, Cromega on used market with three lens turrets
5. No need for compressor, never seen the need with a clean , relatively high humidity space.

You will need a plan for silver recovery, need a good plumber , use plastic not copper drains, good plan for mixing water and changing heat of water quickly.
Paint enlarger area black, use oil paint rest of room can be white.
Good sound system for long hauls.
Flooring should be good, I would not put a darkroom with wood floors over another space*don't ask*

Everything you need other than construction materials can be found on the used market relatively cheap.
Make the space comfortable and have fun.

Bob

Hello, my dear colleagues,

I need your advices:

We are renovating ( more likely rebuilding) photography museum (In Lithuania). The plan is to install new dark room. We are just comparing prices and planing know.

The space is 2,5m X 5m the height 2,9m

1) Proper ventilation
2) custom made large sink with borders
3) working space for 2 or 3 persons
4) 3 Enlargers: one at least for 4x5 sheet film; one with color head ( still thinking maybe just b&w depending on cost); enlarger lens
5) Compressor
-------------------
Which one suppliers you can recommend? (EU or in USA )

Of course we need and developing tanks...and other small stuff but at first about 1) to 5)

Be free to express your opinion:)

aduncanson
24-Aug-2010, 08:32
For an institution such as a photography museum in particular, I would plan for an 8x10 (or bigger) enlarger and so I would definitely want a little more space. I would think that 3m x 6m is the minimum for three workers. In the US, 8x10 enlargers are frequently given away for the hauling and so the chances of getting one for your museum may not be too bad. However, many 8x10 enlargers require very high ceilings so your 2.9m ceilings may not be high enough to let you accept the best enlarger that becomes available.

menelajas
25-Aug-2010, 01:44
For an institution such as a photography museum in particular, I would plan for an 8x10 (or bigger) enlarger and so I would definitely want a little more space. I would think that 3m x 6m is the minimum for three workers. In the US, 8x10 enlargers are frequently given away for the hauling and so the chances of getting one for your museum may not be too bad. However, many 8x10 enlargers require very high ceilings so your 2.9m ceilings may not be high enough to let you accept the best enlarger that becomes available.

I totally agree with you but the building plan is already made (as I just came to work in the museum is a bit hard to deal with museum director ) the head said it would be nice to have a place for 3 people, but personaly I think is better to have a place for 2 people which is more comfortable...

Have anybody had experience with
http://www.kienzle-phototechnik.de/home_english/home_english.html
They have nice stuff even 10x10. As kienzel- phototechnik is in germany the shipping will be cheaper and less complicated.

What do you think of this model:

http://www.kienzle-phototechnik.de/home_english/enlarger/T-type/T2525_type/t2525_type.html

in the picture the lab is number 06 and the space 492 cm 244cm

menelajas
25-Aug-2010, 01:50
1 - ventilation , humidity control, hire a good contractor
2- Wood Sink , competent carpenter with west system to waterproof
3. Pretty tight for three people at a time , but just my opinion.
4. Omega, Cromega on used market with three lens turrets
5. No need for compressor, never seen the need with a clean , relatively high humidity space.

You will need a plan for silver recovery, need a good plumber , use plastic not copper drains, good plan for mixing water and changing heat of water quickly.
Paint enlarger area black, use oil paint rest of room can be white.
Good sound system for long hauls.
Flooring should be good, I would not put a darkroom with wood floors over another space*don't ask*

Everything you need other than construction materials can be found on the used market relatively cheap.
Make the space comfortable and have fun.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I have the goot news about celling it will be 3,5m so plenty space up:).

menelajas
25-Aug-2010, 01:53
Could you recommend reliable photo dealers. We would prefer in EU as the we have to pay 25% if buying from USA.

jonathan_lipkin
25-Aug-2010, 08:09
When I built a wooden sink, I used boat-making resin and fiberglass to finish it. Was very sturdy. Be careful, though. The resin is very very toxic while you are applying it.

bob carnie
25-Aug-2010, 09:29
West systems is fantastic for this purpose.
no mess, no stink , dries overnight

When I built a wooden sink, I used boat-making resin and fiberglass to finish it. Was very sturdy. Be careful, though. The resin is very very toxic while you are applying it.

ROL
25-Aug-2010, 09:33
A Darkroom Portrait (http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/news/A+Darkroom+Portrait) in the Darkroom Techniques (http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/news/category/darkroom-techniques) section of my site specifically addresses many of your stated issues.

menelajas
27-Aug-2010, 00:54
That are pluses an minuses of wall mounting enlarge system. Is it worth in terms of place saving?

menelajas
27-Aug-2010, 00:57
A Darkroom Portrait (http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/news/A+Darkroom+Portrait) in the Darkroom Techniques (http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/news/category/darkroom-techniques) section of my site specifically addresses many of your stated issues.

What a nice darkroom you have:) Nice lighting very cozy

bob carnie
27-Aug-2010, 07:12
All my enlargers are wall mounted , other than the 8x10 and 11x14, but the big boys are braced at the top. I should add the floor is concrete , I prefer this to wood, and the walls are stable with no vibrations.
I like making drop tables for each enlarger to take advantage of different size prints.

That are pluses an minuses of wall mounting enlarge system. Is it worth in terms of place saving?