PDA

View Full Version : making your own lenscaps

alex from holland
23-Aug-2010, 02:52
Hi All,

i recently made some lenscaps for my old lenses.
It is much easier than you think. if you are interested how to do it :

http://collodion-art.blogspot.com/2010/08/making-your-own-lenscap-isnt-that.html

alex

rguinter
23-Aug-2010, 03:13
A very nice job.

I may try your technique.

Cheers. Bob G.

Steven Tribe
23-Aug-2010, 03:14
Yes this almost the way I do it too! It is important to use the thinnest leather available - look through your partner's discarded wardrobe items! I always line with velvet as you get a bit more leeway with diameter "mistakes". This will also cover up errors in the internal leather edge. I use about three layers of cardboard as a spacer because of the extra lining. Modern velvet is made by a different process than "old velvet" so the edges can be very ragged if you are not careful. Using two pieces of leather is feasible if the scraps you use aren't big enough.

jb7
23-Aug-2010, 03:29
very nice work-

Mark Woods
23-Aug-2010, 09:32
Very cool.

patrickjames
23-Aug-2010, 13:47
Man that sure beats the lenscaps I made this morning for an Agfa process lens out of the ends of Coke and Heineken cans!

alex from holland
23-Aug-2010, 13:58
Man that sure beats the lenscaps I made this morning for an Agfa process lens out of the ends of Coke and Heineken cans!

LOL, that beer was a good choice. It's the best you can get :D

Thalmees
24-Aug-2010, 13:36
Hi All,

i recently made some lenscaps for my old lenses.
It is much easier than you think. if you are interested how to do it :

http://collodion-art.blogspot.com/2010/08/making-your-own-lenscap-isnt-that.html

alex

Thanks too much.

Ty G
28-Aug-2010, 15:14
Steven, "look through your partner's discarded wardrobe items! " That is a great idea; my wife doesn't have any leather stuff, but I bet someone else's wife does. I will go check out the used clothes places. They sell stuff for like $3.

Ty G
28-Aug-2010, 15:24
Alex, I like your method very much. I may try it your way. The cap I made for my "special" lens isn't as nice as I would like.

Thanks, Ty

Ash
28-Aug-2010, 16:34
Ty... I've found good sized leather jackets for £6 in the UK, and over here nothing is cheap. Definitely look in the charity (goodwill?) shops

alex from holland
29-Aug-2010, 00:03
Ty... I've found good sized leather jackets for £6 in the UK, and over here nothing is cheap. Definitely look in the charity (goodwill?) shops

Just send an e-mail to www.echtleer.nl (William Kooy)
I am sure he can help you with this. I paid € 30 for 2 nice sheepskins including shipping.

alex

Steven Tribe
29-Aug-2010, 02:40
Now this is not a sexist/judgemental contribution!

There are some people - both men and women - who discard perfect items of leather clothing because they are no longer considered "in" in terms of style. And often things are thrown out because of restricted wear to cuffs and elbows. The advantage with used leather is that you judge the wearing properties of the leather and the leather has acquired the right period patina. I have bought new leather (odd shaped offcuts) but have been unlucky with the smell of tanning chemicals! Charity shops may not have collectible photographic items often - but they have lots of leather.

alex from holland
29-Aug-2010, 03:10
Hi Steven,

Be aware that old leathers cloths may not have the "stretch" anymore which you need.

alex