PDA

View Full Version : Removing Aero Ektar from K-24 aerial camera

BetterSense
21-Aug-2010, 17:50
I have an apparently unused K-24 camera. No film magazine or back, but the focal plane shutter is working fine. Anyway I want to remove the F/2.8 lens from this thing but I'm not sure how. Has anyone done this before? It looks like there are 3 radial setscrews, and then it also looks like there may be a thread pinch-bolt that I cannot reach.

Walter Calahan
21-Aug-2010, 18:32
Done it twice. Ended up having to drill out one of the set screws, but once the set screws are either loosened or drilled out (I hope you don't have to drill them out), the lens should unscrew from the camera.

BetterSense
21-Aug-2010, 19:07
See, I removed the 3 radial setscrews. Mine looks like there is this extra thing where the threads are sliced, leaving a circumferential slot, and then a bolt comes out from the camera side and pinches the liberated section of threads. Since I can't get to the inside of the camera to remove that pinchbolt, I'm going to run my dremel cutoff wheel into the slot and cut the bolt off .

BetterSense
21-Aug-2010, 19:12
I dremeled the pinch-bolt and the pinched section of thread popped satisfyingly when the tension was released. So now the lens should screw off, but it's not wanting too. Maybe I will squirt some penetrating oil on it and let it sit overnight.

Dave_B
21-Aug-2010, 19:45
I have an apparently unused K-24 camera. No film magazine or back, but the focal plane shutter is working fine. Anyway I want to remove the F/2.8 lens from this thing but I'm not sure how. Has anyone done this before? It looks like there are 3 radial setscrews, and then it also looks like there may be a thread pinch-bolt that I cannot reach.

I presume you know these lenses are mildly radioactive. Not a super big deal but worth being careful with. Lots of posts here on the subject.
Good luck,
Dave B.

BetterSense
21-Aug-2010, 19:49
I'm not too worried about it. I won't use it as a pillow.

When I'm trying to unscrew this thing, can I just grab it around the front element? I've been wrapping towels around that part and trying not to put force on the aperture ring, but it still won't budge.