PDA

View Full Version : Niagara Falls to Columbus Ohio

Filmnut
21-Aug-2010, 13:05
In little under a week I will be traveling, by car, from my home in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, to the Columbus Ohio area for about 4 days. I am quite familiar with the Niagara and Buffalo area, but haven't been down through Ohio in 25 yrs or so. I will be traveling along I-90 and then I-71 for most of the trip. Not sure if I should bring the 4X5, or not. This is not going to be a photography only trip, as I will have other priorities, but I should be able to have time for some photography.
Any suggestions for areas of scenic interest?
Keith

Mark Sampson
21-Aug-2010, 13:42
Well it's mostly flat, or slightly rolling, farmland. The beginning of the Midwest, where the sky starts to get big. Not spectacular but it has its own quiet beauty in the right light.

sun of sand
21-Aug-2010, 15:11
seems pretty dull to me lol
columbus is a nice little city

i do like middle/southern ohio, though
scenic rivers running alongside towns and further south almost into kentucky nice rolling hills, ravines ..what they call hollars lol and rivers and lakes whatnot
it's nice down in those areas

John Schneider
21-Aug-2010, 16:13
Head south from Columbus to the Athens area, there are some nice caves/caverns/waterfalls there.

Filmnut
21-Aug-2010, 16:44
About the caves, and such are these hard to find, or fairly well marked?
Keith

Bryan Lemasters
21-Aug-2010, 17:07
Keith, try Hocking Hills State Park, not too far south of Columbus.

Filmnut
21-Aug-2010, 17:35
Thanks so far folks! Hopefully I can get some stuff worthwhile enough to post here.
Keith

Brian Ellis
22-Aug-2010, 07:38
Dante's Pizza in Columbus. Best pizza I've ever had.

Frank Petronio
22-Aug-2010, 08:30
It really depends on your attitude. If you want American Highway culture, it's all good. Akron is interesting from a Football and Rubber perspective. Cleveland has all the aspects of a Rust Belt city, from beautiful Olmstead-designed parks to the roughest ghettos. The farms and rolling hills are lovely, as are the river valleys. The Ohio River is all history....

David Beal
22-Aug-2010, 10:43
Call up Jim Andracki at Midwest Photo (614-261-1264; mpex@mpex.com); a true friend of this Forum and a real nice guy. He can tell you where to shoot, where to eat, and pretty much anything else about Columbus and Ohio. And if you stop in at Midwest, buy some film or LF gear and help support a business that makes it possible for the rest of us to continue shooting LF.

Happy Trails!

Darin Boville
22-Aug-2010, 12:20
It really depends on your attitude. If you want American Highway culture, it's all good. Akron is interesting from a Football and Rubber perspective.

Akron and football? Akron and rubber?

The Football Hall of Fame is actually in Canton, Ohio, a tad south of Akron, a little off your path. There is no more rubber in Akron, as far as I know. Hasn't been for decades. The local University has taken over as the biggest employer. "Polymers" is the buzzword today.

Akron has one of the best small art museums in the country and they have a particular interest in serious photography. The current exhibit is Andrew Moore's photographs of Detroit.

http://www.akronartmuseum.org/

They have a new building that I haven't been to yet--supposed to be quite nice. Well worth stopping to see.

--Darin

bob carnie
22-Aug-2010, 12:47
Keith are you looking to get some old cars to restore?

Frank Petronio
22-Aug-2010, 13:17
Haha well if he wants bullshit have him drop by my place.... I never even stopped in Akron on my way to visit my son in Athens... other than Borders and fast food. I just remember all that football stuff from the highway. And yes, of course, there is no more manufacturing in America....

John Powers
22-Aug-2010, 13:26
If you like old cars,

“The Crawford Auto Aviation Museum has grown to include approximately 150 vehicles and airplane. “ The focus of the collection is early cars from the Cleveland area. They claim to have the largest collection of 100 year old cars in the world.
http://www.wrhs.org/index.php/crawford

If you like history,
I have taken about 150 7x17 images of the OH & Erie Canal which runs through the industrial area of Cleveland and Akron with farm and national park and farm land in between. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/album.php?aid=3636&id=100000479112834

John

Filmnut
22-Aug-2010, 17:08
Bob;
No, I have enough old cars to restore especially since my wife bought one!
Actually I am going to car show in Dublin Ohio.
For those others that don't know me so well, what money I don't spend on old cars, I spend on photography, or is it the other way around?
Thanks all for your comments!
Keith

Darin Boville
22-Aug-2010, 17:31
Haha well if he wants bullshit have him drop by my place.... I never even stopped in Akron on my way to visit my son in Athens... other than Borders and fast food. I just remember all that football stuff from the highway. And yes, of course, there is no more manufacturing in America....

Ah ha! Now, for penance, you have to stop at the Akron Art Museum the next time you go by...

--Darin

venchka
31-Aug-2010, 10:27
Get off of the I-highway system. Berlin, OH for good Amish cooking and a photo or two. Meander around on the back roads.

I regret not knowing about Midwest Photo when my daughter lived in Columbus.

Columbus, OH must have more chain restaurants per square mile than anywhere else in the USA. Although Houston gives them a run for their money. Columbus doesn't have 24/7 trailer based taquerias!

It should be harvest time. That will be a plus.

Filmnut
16-Sep-2010, 16:41
Well folks, thanks for all the great ideas! I did get out for part of one afternoon, but got stuck in a bad accident on the Interstate, and got to the interesting parts a bit late in the day. However, I got to the "Old Man's Cave" area and got a few shots done before the light left me completely. The other thing, there was no water flowing, I guess not enough rain lately. It would be an great place to visit again.
All shot on my Speed Graphic. Here's the three most worthwhile ones I shot. TMax 400, processed in Xtol 1:1. Lenses were 75mm Super Angulon, except for the "rock" shot which was an Ektar 203mm. Exposures ranged from 10 secs to 2 mins.
This reminds me of the Ananzie ruins in New Mexico

Steve M Hostetter
27-Sep-2010, 10:04
...................!

ic-racer
27-Sep-2010, 12:47
Ok, so you found a rock. The other thing you can find in the area is a log. They are not hard to find. In fact just the other day my 4 year-old was pointing out to my wife "there is a log like daddy takes pictures of..."