PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with an Ebony 45SU?

olwick
18-Aug-2010, 07:47
How does the Ebony 45SU "travel"? Are there any special precautions that I'd need to take? I know they sell a padded bag for it, but was wondering if a large wrap would suffice instead. I'm trying to travel as light as possible but still have protection. NOTE I wouldn't be checking the bag, I'd be carrying it on.

Thanks,

Mark

Dave Wooten
18-Aug-2010, 08:50
spend the money and put it in a small Pelican case.

olwick
18-Aug-2010, 08:55
It's not a question of money, it's more about the weight. I'm trying to get as light as possible while still offering protection.

Steve Hamley
18-Aug-2010, 09:58
I'd think good wraps or double wraps would be fine. MC Gear (Quality Camera is a vendor) has padded soft cases if you want the next step up from a wrap.

Cheers, Steve

Keith Pitman
18-Aug-2010, 10:29
I've traveled with a RW45 quite a bit. Just wrapped it in the focusing cloth. Carry on only for the camera, lenses, meter, film. Tripod, film holders, and other gear can go in checked bag.

Drew Wiley
18-Aug-2010, 12:47
My cordura carry-on will fit my complete 4x5 kit including a carbon fiber tripod. The Ebony and lenses go into an inexpensive Rubbermaid plastic box with homemade dividers. Otherwise, disposable bubble wrapping works for everything. Cheaper, lighter, and, most important, less conspicious than a fancy dedicated equipment case.

Louie Powell
19-Aug-2010, 16:31
The problem is not the camera. Instead, the problem is all the other stuff that tags along for the ride - lenses, meter, holders, etc.

I use a LowePro Nature Trekker backpack for my kit. The Zone VI Lightweight camera is only 3+ pounds, but by the time the rest of the stuff is added in, the total weighs in at 27 pounds!

Wife and I are currently on vacation in the Bay Area, and yesterday we visited Angel Island. The hike from the pier to the Immigration Station with the pack on my back was a killer! Either I'm getting too old, or I'm dreadfully out of shape (or both), but I had to spring the $5 for the jitney ride back to the boat.

Dave Wooten
19-Aug-2010, 23:16
Doesn't it have to go overhead or under the seat in front of you? It can take some nice hits in both areas.

drew.saunders
20-Aug-2010, 09:03
You can get the Photobackpacker case that fits the 45SU and just put it into your bag or case. You'll want the C00894:

http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RPT&Product_Code=C00894&Category_Code=RPT01

I use the whole backpack/camera case/lens case system, and the 45SU fits snugly in that case, and can even fit with a smallish lens attached. It'll protect the camera quite well, and you can always stuff a little extra padding in if you need it. With "fuzzy" velcro around it, you could even work up a handle or carrying strap.

Dave Wooten
20-Aug-2010, 13:37
Drew that looks like a winner!